Aztec Secret Healing Clay is a brand of healing clay. Bentonite healing clay, aka montmorillionite clay, has been used for centuries as a facial mask as well as taken internally to help detoxify the body.
Bentonite clay was initially discovered in Montmorillon, France where the name montmorillionite clay was given to it. Significant amounts of healing clay can also be found in Fort Benton, Wyoming, USA. Bentonite clay is derived from ash aged over time. This ash is usually found in volcanos.
6 Benefits of Bentonite Healing Clay for Hair
- Bentonite clay draws toxins, impurities and residual hair products out of hair. These toxins, impurities and residual products are retained within the mask so when you rinse it off, your hair comes out squeaky clean.
- Even though bentonite clay makes hair squeaky clean, it doesn not strip the hair of moisture. On the contrary, it opens up the hair’s cuticle so when you apply your finishing products, the hair absorbs it better before your cuticle closes.
- Bentonite clay is especially beneficial for kinky curly hair. It helps define your curls and aids in curl clumping. Bentonite clay is a key ingredient in the Max Hydration Method.
- Healing clay helps keep frizz and flyaways under control and promotes shiny hair.
- Healing clay contains many nutritional components but when it comes to hair, the best properties include silicon, protein, calcium, sulphur & iron – all vital for stronger & shinier hair.
- Bentonite clay can help alleviate certain scalp issues such as dandruff.
Moisturizing Aztec Secret Healing Clay Recipe for Hair
This is a recipe I’ve been using on my hair for 2 years and it works wonders.
- Pour 3 heaped tablespoons of Aztec Secret Healing Clay in a plastic bowl.
- Add in hot water and start mixing until it’s a smooth, creamy consistency. You can add more hot water if you prefer a thinner consistency, which is best when you intend to use it as a shampoo.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of either grapeseed oil or sweet almond oil. Use a whisk for easier mixing.
- Add in ¼ – ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Whisk until you’re satisfied with the consistency.
- Wait until cool then pour into an applicator bottle or a large plastic bottle if you plan to use over a few days. Below is a mix I use. I’ve combined 2 different types of clay here. My hair really liked this.
Related Content: The Best Clay to Use for Step 3 of Max Hydration Method
How to Use Aztec Secret Healing Clay Mask on Hair
- As a shampoo, apply to your hair as you would a conditioner. Make sure every strand is coated and work into your scalp as well. Cover with a shower cap or cling film and leave on for 45 minutes – 1 hour then rinse out and deep condition your hair.
- After shampooing (mild shampoo) and deep conditioning your hair, apply the clay mask and leave on for 45 minutes – 1 hour then rinse out and apply a leave in conditioner followed by a suitable natural oil.
You can see a picture of my hair below after a typical hair care session that includes bentonite clay.
Where to Buy Aztec Secret Healing Clay?
You can find Aztec Secret Healing Clay on Amazon HERE. If you’re unable to find it on Amazon, you can also purchase it on iHerb HERE. If this is your first time using iHerb, use code NAH479 for 10% off orders over $40.
Other Recommended Brands of Healing Clay
While Aztec Secret Healing Clay is the best brand of healing clay, it isn’t always possible to acquire it. Below are other recommended brands of healing clay, which work just as well and come highly recommended:
Best Tips for Using Bentonite Healing Clay for Hair
- Bentonite clay swells significantly when mixed with hot water so mix in small amounts at a time. While you can freeze the leftovers for next time without any issues, I prefer to mix a fresh batch every time.
- Buy pH test strips to check the pH level of the clay every time you use it. It shouldn’t be more than 8. If it is, you need to add a few things to lower the pH level such as apple cider vinegar.
- If it makes your scalp itch, then leave it on for no longer than 45 mins the next time you use it although this is very rare.
- Overuse of healing clay without balancing out with proper moisturising products will lead to dry hair over time. Ideally, once every week is more than ok unless you’re on the 7 Day program of the Max Hydration Method.
- Always mix your clay in a plastic container with a plastic spoon. Metal utensils will reduce its effectiveness.
- Look out for clay that’s green/cream/brownish in colour. White means it’s been processed in some way, which would have stripped the nutrients.
The next few articles will discuss the different types of healing clay, benefits of healing clay for skin, the best way to use topically as well as safety points for internal use. Sign up below to get it in your inbox directly.