This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
In particular, castor oil is excellent for stopping hair loss and treating thin areas of the scalp brought on by unhealthy hair practices such as over manipulation, tight pony tails, tight extensions and wearing wigs for extended periods of time among other things. I’ve had issues with two areas on my edges due to wearing tight corn rows for a month in March last year.
I tried a variety of things then zoned in on a Jamaican black castor oil blend, which I tested for about 9 months and the results were outstanding. Below are my progress pictures:
Here’s what I did to achieve maximum growth:
- Exercised regularly, mostly Beachbody Home Workout Programs such as Shaun T’s Insanity, Chalean Extreme, T25 & P90X. Regularly being everyday but 3 – 5 times a week should be fine as well.
- Took a general multivitamin every day although I’m sure this isn’t strictly necessary. I eventually stopped doing this in 2015.
- Drank bamboo leaf tea every day. Bamboo leaf tea is caffeine free and rich in silica. It’s also helped clear my skin by the way. I drank 3 cups everyday although you can drink more if you like.
- Massaged my scalp for 10 minutes every night with a special blend of Jamaican black castor oil especially targeted for hair loss problems. Sometimes I heated the oil slightly before the massage.
- Derma rolled my scalp 2 – 3 times a week. Derma Rolling Bald Spots for Hair Growth explains this in greater detail.
Following the above helped regrow my edges. I am currently in braids but when I take it out in two weeks, I will post an updated picture. I am still following the above-mentioned steps as the new hair needs to catch up with the rest of my hair. If you’re having trouble with bald spots and nothing seems to be working, you could give it a try for three – six months. Remember, consistency is key!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll be interested in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide, a comprehensive tool featuring over 15 methods for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots and filling in thin areas of your scalp. There’s a whole chapter in there dedicated to derma rolling effectively as well as preservation techniques.