This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Onions are a common and delicious ingredient in cooking but using it for hair growth isn’t usually something that comes to mind. However, onion juice is an excellent ingredient when it comes to hair regrowth.
It’s also one of the recommendations in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide: Stop Hair Loss, Regrow Bald Spots and Fill in Thin Areas of Your Scalp for good reason.
Why Use Onion Juice for Hair Regrowth?
- Onion juice is a natural remedy for thinning hair because of its high sulfur content. Sulfur improves bold circulation and directs nourishment to the hair follicles.
- Onion juice contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, which helps fight off infection on the scalp.
- Onion juice improves enzyme catalase levels; an antioxidant that prevents premature aging and optimizes the hair growth cycle.
- A 2002 abstract from Journal of Dermatology indicates that onion juice is indeed a potent remedy for hair regrowth.
Mixing the onion juice with coconut oil comes into the equation because coconut oil can help replace the natural oils lost in hair, reduce protein loss from hair and contains abundant levels of vitamin E and lauric acid. Combined, the two can be a very effective method for improving hair growth and eliminating thinning hair.
Onion Juice and Coconut Oil Recipe for Hair Regrowth
There are many recipes for onion juice for hair regrowth but below is one that I’ve tested on my hair and know works quite well.
- Peel 1 – 2 onions then mash or grate. You can use the OXO Good Grips Grater for this.
- Put in a cheesecloth and squeeze out as much juice as you can. This can be a tearful experience so you can put the onions in the fridge to get cold before peeling. Cold onions reduce the tears.
- Warm up 3 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil like Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Oil or Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Coconut Oil then add it into the onion juice.
- Mix together and apply to your scalp.
- Massage thoroughly then cover your hair with a shower cap and wait 30 – 45 minutes. You can leave it in overnight if you can stomach the smell.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo like Castile soap or diluted bentonite clay then deep condition your hair.
- Repeat 2 times a week for best results.
Related Content: The 7 Best Organic Coconut Oils for Curly Hair
Can Coconut Oil Be Replaced in the Recipe?
Yes, you can replace coconut oil in the recipe above. In fact, my favorite natural oil for this recipe would be hemp seed oil, castor oil, black cumin seed oil or emu oil. You can also mix two types of natural oils to test the results. It shouldn’t have an adverse effect on your hair.
Onion Juice and Raw Honey Recipe for Hair Regrowth
- After extracting the onion juice, add 2 tablespoons of raw honey like Y.S. Eco Bee Farms Raw Honey or Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey. It’s important it is raw honey as this retains all the natural nutrients. Clear honey is just not as effective.
- Whisk the mix thoroughly until the honey is dissolved then apply to your scalp in the same way as above.
- Cover with a shower cap and leave in for 30 – 45 minutes then wash out with mild shampoo or diluted bentonite clay mix.
- You can use this recipe 2 times a week as well and can be alternated with the coconut oil recipe from week to week or treatment to treatment.
Onion Juice Hair Rinse for Hair Regrowth
- Peel two onions and slice very thinly then set aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water. Remove from stove and immerse the onions in the boiling water.
- Cover the mixture and set aside for an hour.
- Strain the mix and add 5 – 10 drops of your fragrant essential oils and a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Pour into a spray bottle then spray generously onto your scalp after shampooing.
- Massage thoroughly then wait for 20 minutes.
- Apply your deep conditioner over the onion rinse and go on with the rest of your hair regimen.
- You can use this hair rinse as often as you like.
You should make these recipes fresh every time you want to repeat the treatment. Storing it for a few days might lead to an unpleasant smell. Y
ou can expect to start seeing results from onion juice for hair regrowth within 6 – 8 weeks depending on how severe the problem is.
Expect a complete turn around in less than 6 months provided you are eliminating other things in your lifestyle that could be causing hair loss issues.
What If I Don’t Like the Smell of Onions on My Hair?
If you can’t stand the smell of the onion juice, you can add in some fragrant essential oils like lavender essential oil, jasmine absolute essential oil, bergamot essential oil, cedarwood essential oil or ylang-ylang essential oil.
You can also follow up with a quick organic ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse to eliminate the smell.
By the way, including as many onions as you can in your diet such as salads, sandwiches, and soups also helps in the long run.
If you can’t stand the taste of raw onions, you can take the zing out of it by submerging the sliced onions in a bowl of iced water for 10 minutes before using.
Other Hair Regrowth Home Remedies
- The Proven Science Behind Peppermint Oil for Hair Loss Issues
- Treat Acne & Fungal Infections with Tea Tree Oil
- Apply Rosemary Oil for Scalp Issues, Hair Growth & Thinning Hair
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Hair & Skin
- Best Organic Castor Oil for Hair Growth
- Reverse Hair Thinning with Burdock Root Oil
- Dry Scalp & Dandruff Issues Addressed with Borage Seed Oil
- Derma Rolling Bald Spots for Growth
- The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide