This onion juice and coconut oil recipe for hair regrowth will eliminate serious hair loss issues and help coax newer and healthier hair growth.
Is onion juice good for hair growth is one of the questions I researched and tested before this article and the answer is yes!
Onion juice does help with hair growth but it works even better when you combine it with coconut oil.
If you don’t like coconut oil, I have recommended alternative natural oils that work just as well. In this onion juice and coconut oil post, I’ll be covering:-
- Why onion juice is good for hair regrowth
- Benefits of combining onion juice and coconut oil for hair regrowth
- Onion juice and coconut oil recipes for hair
- What to do if you don’t like the odor of onion juice
Onions are a common and delicious ingredient in cooking but using it for hair growth isn’t usually something that comes to mind.
However, onion juice is an excellent ingredient when it comes to hair regrowth.
It’s also one of the top recommendations in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide: Stop Hair Loss, Regrow Bald Spots and Fill in Thin Areas of Your Scalp.
Why Use Onion Juice for Hair Regrowth?
1. Natural Remedy for Thinning Hair
Onion juice is a natural remedy for thinning hair because of its high sulfur content.
Sulfur improves bold circulation and directs nourishment to the hair follicles.
2. Eliminates Scalp Issues
Onion juice contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties, which help fight off an infection on the scalp.
3. Optimizes Hair Regrowth
Onion juice improves enzyme catalase levels; an antioxidant that prevents premature aging and optimizes the hair growth cycle.
4. Backed By Science
A 2002 abstract from Journal of Dermatology indicates that onion juice is indeed a potent remedy for hair regrowth.
The abstract breaks down the science of how onion juice can help with hair growth.
Why Onion Juice and Coconut Oil for Hair Growth?
Mixing the onion juice with coconut oil comes into the equation because coconut oil can help replace the natural oils lost in the hair.
It can also reduce protein loss from hair and contains abundant levels of vitamin E and lauric acid.
Combined, the two can be a very effective method for improving hair growth and eliminating thinning hair.
How to Make Onion Juice and Coconut Oil for Hair Regrowth
There are many recipes for onion juice for hair regrowth but below is one that I’ve tested on my hair and know works quite well.
Onion Juice and Coconut Oil Recipe Ingredients
- 1- 2 onions
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil like Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Oil, or Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Grater like OXO Good Grips Grater
- Spray bottle
Onion Juice and Coconut Oil Recipe Directions
- Peel the onions then mash or grate.
- Put in the cheesecloth and squeeze out as much juice as you can. This can be a tearful experience so you can put the onions in the fridge to get cold before peeling. Cold onions reduce the tears. Pour into the spray bottle.
- Warm up the extra virgin coconut oil over a bowl of boiling water then add it to the onion juice.
- Shake the bottle and apply the mix to your scalp.
- Massage into your scalp thoroughly then cover your hair with a disposable cap.
- Wait for 30 – 45 minutes. You can leave it overnight if you can stomach the smell.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo like Davines Momo Shampoo for Dehydrated Hair then deep condition your hair with your favorite conditioner.
- Repeat 2 times a week for best results.
Related Content: The 7 Best Organic Coconut Oils for Curly Hair
Can Coconut Oil Be Replaced in the Recipe?
Yes, you can replace coconut oil in the recipe above.
You can also mix two types of natural oils to test the results. It shouldn’t have an adverse effect on your hair.
How to Make Onion Juice and Raw Honey for Hair Regrowth
Onion Juice and Honey Recipe Ingredients
- 1 – 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey like Y.S. Eco Bee Farms Raw Honey or Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey
Onion Juice and Honey Recipe Directions
- After extracting the onion juice the same way as in the above recipe, add the raw honey. It’s important it’s raw honey as this retains all the natural nutrients. Clear honey is just not as effective.
- Whisk the mix thoroughly until the honey is dissolved then apply to your scalp.
- Cover with a disposable cap and leave on for 30 – 45 minutes then wash out with a mild shampoo like Davines Momo Shampoo for Dehydrated Hair.
- Follow with a deep conditioning session.
- You can use this recipe 2 times a week as well and can be alternated with the coconut oil recipe from week to week or treatment to treatment.
How to Make Onion Juice Hair Rinse for Hair Regrowth
Onion Juice Hair Rinse Recipe Ingredients
- 2 onions
- 4 cups of water
- 5 – 10 drops of your favorite essential oil like lavender essential oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Spray bottle
Onion Juice Hair Rinse Recipe Directions
- Peel the onions and slice very thinly then set aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water. Remove from the stove and immerse the onions in the boiling water.
- Cover the mixture and set it aside for an hour.
- Strain the mix and add the essential oil and lemon juice.
- Pour into the spray bottle then spray onto your scalp after shampooing.
- Massage thoroughly into your scalp then wait for 20 minutes.
- Apply your deep conditioner over the onion rinse and go on with the rest of your hair regimen.
- You can use this hair rinse as often as you like.
You should make these recipes fresh every time you want to repeat the treatment. Storing it for a few days might lead to an unpleasant smell.
You can expect to start seeing results from onion juice for hair regrowth within 6 – 8 weeks depending on how severe the problem is.
Expect a complete turnaround in less than 6 months provided you are eliminating other things in your lifestyle that could be causing hair loss issues.
Recommended Hair Growth Resources
How Long Should You Leave Onion Juice in Your Hair?
You can leave onion juice in your hair for as little as 30 minutes. You can also leave it in overnight.
Leaving it in overnight shouldn’t be an issue but start slow with the recipes I have recommended to get your hair used to the treatments.
What If I Don’t Like the Smell of Onions on My Hair?
If you can’t stand the smell of the onion juice, you can add in some fragrant essential oils like:-
- Lavender essential oil
- Jasmine absolute essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Ylang-ylang essential oil
You can also follow up with a quick organic ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse to eliminate the smell.
By the way, including as many onions as you can in your diet such as salads, sandwiches, and soups also helps in the long run.
If you can’t stand the taste of raw onions, you can take the zing out of it by submerging the sliced onions in a bowl of iced water for 10 minutes before using.
Other Hair Regrowth Home Remedies
- Derma Rolling Bald Spots for Growth
- The Proven Science Behind Peppermint Oil for Hair Loss Issues
- Treat Acne & Fungal Infections with Tea Tree Oil
- Apply Rosemary Oil for Scalp Issues, Hair Growth & Thinning Hair
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Hair & Skin
- Best Organic Castor Oil for Hair Growth
- Reverse Hair Thinning with Burdock Root Oil
- Dry Scalp & Dandruff Issues Addressed with Borage Seed Oil
Pin It for Later – Onion Juice and Coconut Oil for Hair Regrowth
Pin onion juice and coconut oil for hair regrowth for later and follow me on Pinterest for more hair, health, fitness, and beauty tips, freebies, and resources.
Abi is a curly hair expert who delved into the world of natural oils after severe hair loss issues. Through her research, study, and testing, she was able to regrow her bald spots & a healthy head of hair. She is the founder of Healthy Natural Hair Products & Ade Ori Hair Care, and the author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She continues to study hair science, Ayurveda, and natural and healthy solutions for hair and skin. Learn more about our Editorial Guidelines…
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.