Lavender oil has many benefits for the hair and skin besides the calming relaxing scent most people are familiar with. Lavender oil is balancing and soothing and remains one of the best essential oils to include in your hair and skin care regimen.
Lavender oil is produced via steam distillation from the lavender plant; a shrub that produces scented flowers. The lavender plant originated from North Africa and the Mediterranean region but is grown in several regions around the world currently.
Traditionally, lavender has been used for thousands of years for washing and purifying the skin, and as perfume. Ancient Egyptians used lavender for mummification as well. During the great plague in London in the seventeenth century, people wore lavender flowers around their waists as protection against Black Death.
Lavender Oil Benefits for Skin
- Adding lavender oil to your bath can help relieve aches, pains and emotional stress. It can also provide a calming effect on your senses.
- When diluted with a suitable carrier oil, lavender oil can be used as a massage oil to relieve muscle pain, joint pain, sunburns, and insect bites.
- The diluted lavender oil can also be used to sooth the underarms, legs and arms after shaving to prevent bumps.
- If you’re suffering from insomnia, diffusing lavender oil in your home can help reduce the effects and help you sleep better. Add a few drops to your diffuser before going to bed.
- Steam inhalation of lavender oil can help relieve the discomfort of colds and flu, chest congestion, laryngitis, tonsillitis and other respiratory issues. You can inhale by adding a few drops to a bowl of hot water, then placing your head over the bowl and breathing in deeply.
- Adding a few drops of lavender oil to your homemade body butter gives it a beautiful fresh scent and also improves circulation. Really work it all over your body after a shower and take time to massage in.
- Added to your skin care products, lavender oil helps balance skin complexion and reduce acne.
Lavender Oil Benefits for Hair
- Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, which can help relieve scalp issues like psoriasis, eczema, dandruff and itchiness.
- If you’re suffering from stress related hair loss, then lavender oil works two-fold – it calms your senses and relieves stress eliminating the reason for your hair loss.
- Additionally, the properties helps preserve the integrity of DIY concoctions for a few weeks by acting as a mild preservative.
- There are some hair recipes that have a smell everyone wouldn’t find appealing. You can tone down this smell with a few drops of lavender oil.
Lavender Oil for Hair Recipe
While lavender oil can be diluted with any carrier oil of choice, when it comes to using it for hair, you should incorporate natural oils known for helping with scalp conditions and hair loss such as castor oil, Jamaican black castor oil, emu oil, pumpkin seed oil, coconut oil and Calendula oil.
Mix 5 – 10 drops of lavender oil with the carrier oil of choice and use when your regimen involves massaging your scalp or practicing inversion.
Where to Buy Lavender Oil?
The next article will discuss how to make lavender oil at home. If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a guide which goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health. There’s a whole chapter in there dedicated to essential oils.