This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
The almond nut can be found on a tree native to the Middle East and South Asia. Almonds are constituted of approximately 49% oils. These oils contain monounsaturated oleic acid, linoleic acid, palmitic acid and essential vitamins.
It’s important to mention that there are two types of almond oil – bitter and sweet which come from different trees. While the bitter version contains a lot of health benefits, it also possesses poisonous properties and should be used with caution. Sweet almond oil is best for the hair and is the oil this article is going to focus on.
What Are the Benefits of Almond Oil for Hair?
- Almond oil is light and non-greasy making it ideal for use on the scalp and hair.
- Due to its lightness, almond oil is easily absorbed into the scalp.
- Almond oil doesn’t weight down the hair meaning its suitable for finer hair types.
- Almond oil contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, D and E, all key vitamins required for healthy hair growth.
- Almond oil has a significant amount of vitamin E, vital for hair conditioning, smoothening our frizzy hair and taming flyaways. If you like pre-poos, you definitely want to include almond oil in the mix.
The best complimentary oil for almond oil is castor oil. Mixing equal parts together will thin out the consistency of the castor oil and make it easier to apply to the hair. You can also consider mixing it with grapeseed oil.
Best Almond Oil Recommendations
- Mix 8 – 10 drops of jojoba oil with about 28 gms of sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil and an egg yolk for a protein treatment.
- Massage into scalp and leave on for an hour then rinse out and style. If you don’t fancy the smell of your hair afterward, you can wash once with diluted Castile soap like Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Pure Castile Soap, condition then proceed with styling.
If your hair is too dry, you can combine sweet almond oil with sandalwood, ylang-ylang or orange essential oil. Alternatively, if your hair is oily, you can combine sweet almond oil with lemon, bergamot or cedarwood essential oil.
You can also add raw almonds to your diet. While the roasted, salted and other flavoured varieties taste awesome, the best for health and your hair are raw almonds. Try Terrasoul Superfoods Raw Organic Almonds.
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE..