If your hair has been lackluster lately and has weak strands, one of the oils to look into is grapeseed oil. The good news about grapeseed oil is it can be used on all hair types. Grapeseed oil is derived from grape seeds used to make wine.
Grapeseed oil contains significant amounts of vitamin E & F, minerals, proteins, lipids and carbohydrates. Grapeseed oil is also full of procyanidolic oligomers (PCO’s), which outweighs the benefits of vitamin C & E. Frederic Fekkai has a grapeseed oil based colour care shampoo and conditioner while Homedics has some excellent natural roll ons.
6 Distinct Benefits of Grapeseed Oil for Hair
- Grapeseed oil is lighter than most oils, which allows it to be absorbed into the hair cuticle without weighing down your hair, an excellent choice if you have fine hair.
- It makes an excellent scalp massage oil mixed with essentials oils like lavender and ylang ylang. It’s easily absorbed and nourishes the scalp.
- It can reduce/eliminate dandruff problems.
- Used as a hot oil treatment, grapeseed oil can make hair shiny, smoothen cuticles and reduce brittleness.
- Grapeseed oil can be mixed in with your regular deep conditioning treatments, which leads to strong hair.
- Grapeseed oil can be used as a heat protectant prior to blow drying or flat ironing.
If you’re keen on being your own chemist, here are two homemade recipes using grapeseed oil: –
Deep Conditioning Treatment for Hair with Grapeseed Oil
- Combine 4 – 6 tablespoons of grapeseed oil with the same amount of jojoba oil or some other light oil and 5 – 10 drops of lavender or yang ylang oil. Warm in the microwave for a few seconds then apply to dry hair and leave in for 30 minutes. To further enhance its effectiveness, you can also seat under a hair dryer for 3o minutes. Afterwards, shampoo out with warm water and style as usual. Some people may prefer to also use an everyday conditioner on the hair after shampooing out the oil.
- Alternatively, you can try a reverse deep conditioning method to above. Shampoo and condition your hair, then apply above mixture afterwards. Wrap a hot towel around your head or sit under a hair steamer for 30 – 45 minutes. Rinse out with warm water and then style as usual. You can also mix in your regular deep conditioning creams if you prefer.
Scalp Massage Oil for Hair
Combine 4 – 6 tablespoons of grapeseed oil with several drops of peppermint, tea tree or rosemary essential oils. Massage in everyday using the method from the 8 Steps to Effectively Massage Scalp with Oil.
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in PDF, Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.