Last Updated on
Aztec Secret Healing Clay is a brand of bentonite healing clay. Bentonite healing clay, aka montmorillonite clay, has been used for centuries as a facial mask as well as taken internally to help detoxify the body.
Bentonite clay was initially discovered in Montmorillon, France where the name montmorillonite clay was given to it.
Significant amounts of healing clay can also be found in Fort Benton, Wyoming, USA. Bentonite clay is derived from ash aged over time. This ash is usually found in volcanos.
6 Benefits of Bentonite Healing Clay for Hair
1. Draws Out Toxins
Bentonite clay draws toxins, impurities, and residual hair products out of hair. These toxins, impurities and residual products are retained within the mask so when you rinse it off, your hair comes out squeaky clean.
2. Doesn’t Strip Hair
Even though bentonite clay makes hair squeaky clean, it doesn’t strip the hair of moisture. On the contrary, it opens up the hair’s cuticle so when you apply your finishing products, the hair absorbs it better before your cuticle closes.
3. Especially Beneficial for Curly Hair
4. Tames Frizz and Flyaways
Healing clay helps keep frizz and flyaways under control and promotes shiny hair.
5. Stronger and Shinier Hair
Healing clay contains many nutritional components but when it comes to hair, the best properties include silicon, protein, calcium, sulphur & iron – all vital for stronger & shinier hair.
6. Alleviates Scalp Issues
Bentonite clay can help alleviate certain scalp issues such as dandruff.
Moisturizing Aztec Secret Healing Clay Recipe for Hair
This is a recipe I’ve been using on my hair for over 2 years and it works wonders.
- 3 heaped tablespoons of Aztec Secret Healing Clay
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil or sweet almond oil
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Applicator bottle
- Silicone whisk
- Pour the Aztec Secret Healing Clay in a plastic bowl.
- Add in hot water and start mixing until it’s a smooth, creamy consistency. You can add more hot water if you prefer a thinner consistency, which is best when you intend to use it as a shampoo.
- Add the grapeseed oil or sweet almond oil. Use a whisk for easier mixing.
- Add the apple cider vinegar. Whisk until you’re satisfied with the consistency.
- Wait until cool then pour into an applicator bottle like this one or a large plastic bottle if you plan to use over a few days.
- Below is a mix I use. I’ve combined 2 different types of clay here. My hair really liked this.
Related Content: The Best Clay to Use for Step 3 of the Max Hydration Method
How to Use Aztec Secret Healing Clay Mask on Hair
Use As a Shampoo
- As a shampoo, apply to your hair as you would a conditioner.
- Make sure every strand is coated and work into your scalp as well.
- Cover with a disposable cap or wrap cling film around your head and leave on for 45 minutes – 1 hour
- Rinse out and deep condition your hair.
Use As a Detoxifying Treatment
- After shampooing (mild shampoo) like Davines Momo Shampoo for Dehydrated Hair and deep conditioning your hair, apply the clay mask.
- Leave on for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Rinse out and apply a leave-in conditioner followed by a suitable natural oil.
- Style your hair.
You can see a picture of my hair below after a typical hair care session that includes bentonite clay.
Where to Buy Aztec Secret Healing Clay?
If this is your first time using iHerb, use code NAH479 for 10% off orders over $40.
Other Recommended Brands of Healing Clay
While Aztec Secret Healing Clay is the best brand of healing clay, it isn’t always possible to acquire it.
Below are other recommended brands of healing clay, which work just as well and come highly recommended:-
6 Best Tips for Using Bentonite Healing Clay for Hair
1. Use Small Amounts at a Time
Bentonite clay swells significantly when mixed with hot water so mix in small amounts at a time. While you can freeze the leftovers for next time without any issues, I prefer to mix a fresh batch every time.
2. Check pH Level
Buy pH test strips to check the pH level of the bentonite clay every time you use it. It shouldn’t be more than 8. If it is, you need to add a few things to lower the pH level such as apple cider vinegar.
3. Reduce Time Left on Scalp
If bentonite clay makes your scalp itch, then leave it on for no longer than 45 mins the next time you use it although this is very rare.
4. Moderate Use
Overuse of bentonite clay without balancing out with proper moisturizing products will lead to dry hair over time. Ideally, once every week is more than ok unless you’re on the 7 Day program of the Max Hydration Method.
5. Mix in Plastic Components
6. Avoid Processed Clay
Look out for clay that’s green/cream/brownish in color. White means it’s been processed in some way, which would have stripped the nutrients.
How to Store Bentonite Clay Powder
Leftover Clay from a Session
Pour it into a clear, non-metallic, airtight bottle or container and refrigerate for up to a month. It can even last longer in some cases. When ready to use, check the smell.
If it smells iffy, throw out and make a new batch. Ensure the batch you’re refrigerating hasn’t been contaminated with a comb, brush or your fingers.
Dry Bentonite Clay Powder
If the bentonite clay powder is dry, keep it in its airtight container and store in a cool, dry area. Stored properly, it can last for years.
The next article will discuss the different types of healing clay, benefits of healing clay for skin, the best way to use topically as well as safety points for internal use. Sign up below to get it in your inbox directly.