Calendula oil was discussed Eliminate Sore, Itchy and Inflamed Scalp Issues with Calendula Oil. This article will focus on how to make your own Calendula oil and how to use Calendula oil effectively for scalp issues.
Calendula oil has great anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which makes it ideal for scalp issues.
Additionally, it boasts regenerative properties which can provide an ideal environment for healthier hair follicles leading to better hair growth.
How to Make Calendula Oil for Hair
There are two methods you can use to make your own Calendula oil. For both methods, you will need the following ingredients:-
- Dried Calendula petals
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO), almond oil or sunflower oil. You can also use a mix of these natural oils.
- Clean glass jar like this one
How to Make Calendula Oil – Method 1
- Put the dried Calendula petals in the glass jar and fill the jar halfway with your carrier oil of choice.
- Stir and cover up the jar.
- Steep the petals for up to 4 weeks in the jar.
- After 4 weeks, drain the oil and discard the petals.
- Store the oil in a glass jar. It can last up to a year if you keep the lid closed tightly between uses and stored in the refrigerator.
- You can add star anise seed oil or vitamin E oil to act as a mild preservative.
How to Make Calendula Oil – Method 2
- Put the dried Calendula petals in a blender and add in the carrier oil.
- Blend thoroughly then pour the mixture into a glass jar.
- Set aside in a warm place for 4 weeks.
- After 4 weeks, sieve the mixture and your Calendula oil is ready. You get more benefits out of the flower’s properties with this method.
How to Make Calendula Oil with Fresh Flowers
While dried Calendula petals are best for making Calendula oil at home, you can use fresh flowers if that’s all you have on hand. It will, however, include an extra step.
Fresh Calendula Flowers
- Cut the flower heads from your Calendula plant.
- Spread on a flat spray and leave out to dry for a few days. You can also use a dehydrator to make the process faster. I like the Hamilton Beach Brand.
- Once dry, pluck the petals from the flower heads and you have your dried Calendula petals.
- To make the Calendula oil, follow method 1 or 2 outlined above.
Best Brands of Calendula Oil
If you’re not keen on making your own Calendula oil, below are two Calendula brands that are quite good for hair:-
Calendula Herbal Tea Rinse for Hair (Lightens Hair)
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup of cool water
- Large handful of dried Calendula petals
- Add the dried petals to the boiling water and let steep until the water cools down to room temperature.
- Filter the mixture then combine the liquid with the cup of cool water. Your tea rinse is ready.
- To use, shampoo and deep condition your hair, then apply the rinse. Leave in and style your hair as usual.
- Tip: Make enough for one use and prepare a fresh batch every time you want to do a tea rinse. Once a week should suffice.
For more information about tea rinses for hair, have a look at Tea Rinsing Secrets for Healthy Hair Care and Growth.
You can buy dried Calendula petals here or grow your own Calendula flowers.
Did you enjoy the article? For regular updates on how to solve hair issues with oil, subscribe to the newsletter below and grab some exclusive discounts! :).