This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
My mum used calendula flower oil on my sisters and I whenever we had rashes when we were kids. It was amazingly effective and within a few days, all rashes were gone. It never occurred to me that it could be used on the scalp with the same results until I started researching it a few weeks ago.
Calendula flower oil is derived from the flower tops of the marigold or pot marigold flower by distillation. The oil is sticky with a texture similar to castor oil. It has a strong smell and some people might find it unappealing but you can mask this by mixing it with a little olive oil or suitable essential oil.
Benefits of Calendula Flower Oil for the Scalp
- Calendula flower oil has great anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which makes it ideal for scalp issues such as eczema, itchiness, flaky, dandruff, sore, psoriasis, dermatitis and inflamed areas. With regular application, you can expect a significant improvement, if not total elimination, of symptoms within a few weeks.
- Calendula flower oil’s regenerative properties will provide an ideal environment for healthier hair follicles leading to better hair growth.
How To Use Calendula Flower Oil
- Part your scalp and apply calendula flower oil directly in sections.
- Once your whole head is covered, massage thoroughly until the oil is absorbed into your scalp then style as usual.
- Ideally, apply it 2 – 3 times a week at bedtime. There is no need to heat up the oil or wash it off. If you have an oily scalp, use twice a week and wash with a mild shampoo the next morning.
Additionally, you can make a herbal tea rinse out of the flowers, which can be used to enhance hair colour. Ideally, this would work best with blonde or brunette hair. If you have a different hair colour, definitely do a strand test before applying to your entire head. This is covered in greater detail in Tea Rinsing Secrets for Healthy Hair Growth.
The fiery yellow and orange petals can also be used in salads or as a replacement for saffron, which is a popular ingredient in Middle Eastern and Asian cooking.
Where Can I Purchase Calendula Flower Oil?
Fast Fact: Calendula oil has been known to stimulate collagen production. When applied to wounds ASAP, it can help minimize scarring. It can also assist with stretch marks
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in PDF, Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.