My mum used calendula oil on my sisters and me whenever we had rashes when we were kids. It was amazingly effective and within a few days, all rashes were gone.
It never occurred to me that calendula oil could be used on the scalp with the same results until I started researching it a few weeks ago.
What is Calendula Oil?
Calendula oil has a strong smell and some people might find it unappealing but you can mask this by mixing it with a little olive oil or suitable essential oil.
Benefits of Calendula Oil for the Scalp
1. Anti-inflammatory and Anti-bacterial Properties
Calendula flower oil has great anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which makes it ideal for scalp issues such as eczema, itchiness, flaky, dandruff, sore, psoriasis, dermatitis and inflamed areas.
With regular application, you can expect a significant improvement, if not total elimination, of symptoms within a few weeks.
2. Regenerative Properties
Calendula flower oil’s regenerative properties will provide an ideal environment for healthier hair follicles leading to better hair growth.
How To Use Calendula Oil for Hair
- Part your hair into manageable sections and pin up with butterfly clamps.
- Take down each section and apply calendula oil.
- Once your whole scalp area is covered, start massaging your scalp until the oil is absorbed.
- Apply 2 – 3 times a week at bedtime. There is no need to heat up the oil or wash it off. If you have an oily scalp, use twice a week and wash with a mild shampoo the next morning.
Calendula Flower Tea Rinse
You can make herbal tea rinse out of the flowers, which can be used to enhance hair colour. This would work best with blonde or brunette hair.
If you have a different hair colour, definitely do a strand test before applying to your entire head.
This is covered in greater detail in Tea Rinsing Secrets for Healthy Hair Care and Growth.
Eating Calendula Flowers
The fiery yellow and orange petals can be used in salads or as a replacement for saffron, which is a popular ingredient in Middle Eastern and Asian cooking.
You can buy dried organic calendula flowers and use it in cooking. A good brand is Feel Good Organics Calendula Flowers.
Where Can I Purchase Calendula Oil?
Calendula oil has been known to stimulate collagen production. When applied to wounds ASAP, it can help minimize scarring. It can also assist with stretch marks
Interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health?
Have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy and Long with Natural Oils.
It’s a comprehensive guide about natural oils and available in Kindle and paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.
Hair Products with Calendula Oil
- Carol’s Daughter Tui Color Care Hydrating Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- John Masters Organics Green Tea and Calendula Leave-in Conditioning Mist