How do I apply vitamin E oil on hair? This is a question I’ve received a few times. There are several ways you can get the benefits of vitamin E oil for your hair.
With the recipes shared below, you can improve the look of dry locks and achieve soft and bouncy hair with vitamin E oil.
What is Vitamin E Oil?
Vitamin E oil is an active ingredient in many skin and hair care products for good reason.
It is a versatile and healing oil, which can be utilized for a significant number of hair and skin issues.
Vitamin E oil is derived from plant oils and falls under the family of tocopherols (TCP) and tocotrienols.
If you take a look at the ingredient listing on any number of hair care products you have, it’s likely you will see vitamin E oil listed.
Vitamin E oil has a thick and sticky consistency, which can be a bit annoying to work with but don’t let this deter you.
It can easily be thinned down with a suitable complimentary oil and remains one of the best oils for hair.
6 Benefits of Vitamin E Oil for Hair
- Vitamin E oil is a strong antioxidant that helps nourish and soften the hair.
- Vitamin E oil increases circulation to the scalp.
- Vitamin E oil enhances the quality and texture of the hair rendering it shinier over long-term use.
- Some people say it helps them with greying hair but I prefer mustard seed oil and sesame seed oil for greying hair.
- It protects the ends of the hair and guards against split ends. Vitamin E oil can also coat and protect already split ends while you’re trying to come to terms with trimming it off.
- Due to its powerful antioxidant properties, vitamin E oil can act as a mild preservative in your DIY formulations.
Can Vitamin E Oil Be Applied Directly on Hair?
There’s nothing wrong with applying vitamin E oil directly on your hair. However, the consistency of vitamin E oil is quite thick and viscous. It’s difficult to work with it in pure form.
For a more efficient process, it’s better to dilute vitamin E oil with another oil or suitable product.
I’ve shared some great vitamin E oil recipes for hair below as well as other vitamin E oils you can use to dilute pure vitamin E oil.
Can Vitamin E Oil Make Hair Grow?
Vitamin E oil can make hair grow when included as a complementary product in your other hair growth oil recipes.
On its own, it can help eliminate issues that lead to hair loss but for hair growth, combine it with other oils targeted for hair growth.
How Do I Apply Vitamin E Oil to Hair?
Vitamin E Sealing Oil Recipe
- Mix 5 drops of vitamin E oil with 1 tablespoon each of avocado oil, sweet almond oil, and marula oil.
- Apply to the length of my hair before styling.
Vitamin E Oil Deep Conditioning Recipe
As part of your deep conditioning process, add 5 – 10 drops of vitamin E oil into your deep conditioning mix before applying to your hair.
When used this way, your hair will be so soft and shiny afterward. Ensure your apply heat as well.
Which Foods Contains Vitamin E?
Fortunately, there are a lot of foods that contain vitamin E so you won’t have an issue with deficiency.
Some of the top sources of vitamin E from food sources include:-
- Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, rocket leaves, kale, collards, and kale
- Unsalted almonds
- Sunflower seeds
- Fruits such as avocado, papaya, and kiwi
- Pine nuts
- Palm oil
- Sweet potato
Do not take vitamin E oil supplements unless prescribed by a doctor. You should get all the vitamin E you need via food.
Best Vitamin E Oil
It’s important to go for the purest form of vitamin E, which can be determined by the IU (international unit) label on the bottle.
The IU can be as low as 200 or as high as 70, 000. While vitamin E oil with 35,000 – 50,000 IU is fine, I use the vitamin E oil with 70,000 IU.
The bottle is small but a little goes a long way and can last for quite some time.
You can also buy it in capsule form to puncture and extract the oil but this sounds like a lot of work if you have long hair.
Is Vitamin E Oil Good for Eyebrows?
Yes, it is. You can use vitamin E oil to grow out your eyebrows and eyelashes. An earlier article shared a great recipe for achieving this with just three ingredients.
Other Vitamin E Oils
Some other natural oils with high vitamin E content include:-
- Wheat germ oil (highest concentration)
- Sunflower oil
- Hazelnut oil
- Walnut oil
- Peanut oil
- Olive oil
- Poppyseed oil
You May Like This
For more on what you can do with natural oils for hair care, have a look at How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils: Choose the Right Oil & Learn How to Use Them for Optimal Health & Length.