Get dry, frizzy hair soft and smooth with these sunflower oil treatments for hair. Sunflower oil also makes a great emollient for dry hair.
I just love sunflowers. They’re so beautiful and bring a smile to my face for no obvious reason.
Sunflower oil is derived from the seeds of the beautiful sunflower, a yellow flower from the Asteraceae family.
Is Sunflower Oil Good for Hair?
Sunflower oil contains the highest amount of vitamin E compared to other vegetable oils. It is rich in essential fatty acids, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
Sunflower oil is very good for the hair and helps treat dry and dull hair successfully.
Sunflower oil has a high amount of oleic acid (omega-9) and palmitic acid. It also contains lecithin, carotenoids, and vitamins A, C, D, and E.
Quite a few cosmetics use sunflower oil in formulations for hair care because of its benefits for hair.
Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Hair
1. Acts As An Emollient
Sunflower oil is one of the best oils to use as an emollient. An emollient oil provides a protective barrier around hair and prevents loss of moisture from hair.
This makes sunflower oil a great oil to use for sealing hair or in the LOC method.
2. Softens Hair and Eliminates Frizz
Sunflower oil softens hair and makes it easier to detangle and style. It also eliminates frizz and makes styles last longer.
Sunflower oil has a light texture so it’s easily absorbed into the hair.
3. Controls Greasy Hair
If you have greasy hair, including the sunflower oil shampoo recipe below into your hair care regimen can help reduce the greasiness and give your hair more bounce.
Sunflower Oil Recipes for Dry Hair
DIY Sunflower Oil Shampoo
- ½ cup of distilled water
- ½ cup of Castile soap like Desert Essence Liquid Soap or Dr. Bronner’s Castile Liquid Soap
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon of rosemary essential oil.
- Heat up the distilled water then add in the Castile soap, sunflower oil, and rosemary essential oil.
- Whisk together until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then pour into an applicator bottle
- Apply the DIY sunflower shampoo to your hair normally.
- Deep condition as usual afterward.
Tip: You can prepare it the evening before and keep it refrigerated until ready for use.
Since there are no preservatives, it’s better to make this in small quantities as required instead of a large batch at once.
Sunflower Oil Dry Hair Treatment
- Whisk the egg yolk until frothy then add in the wheat germ oil and sunflower oil.
- Whisk thoroughly again. Pour into an applicator bottle.
- Apply to the length of your dry hair.
- Smooth in and make sure all your hair strands are coated.
- Cover with a shower cap and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo, followed by your usual deep conditioning.
Regular application leads to smooth and lustrous hair, full of sheen.
Best Sunflower Oil for Hair
As with soybean oil, watch out to make sure the oil you’re purchasing hasn’t been partially hydrogenated. The top recommended brands of sunflower oil include:-
- Baja Precious Organic Sunflower Oil
- Spectrum Naturals Organic High Heat Sunflower Oil
- Life Flo Organic Pure Sunflower Oil
- La Tourangelle Sunflower Oil
- Banyan Botanicals Organic Sunflower Oil
Add Sunflower Seeds to Your Diet
You can also include sunflower seeds in your diet in small quantities if you like. See the short video below explaining why:-
Keep in mind; a handful of sunflower seeds can pack a punch of up to 165 calories so snack lightly.
Hair Products with Sunflower Oil
- Mixed Chicks Replenishing Oil
- Kiehl’s Since 1851 Sunflower Color Preserving Deep Recovery Pak
- Kiehl’s Since Sunflower Oil Color Preserving Conditioner
Did you enjoy the article? For regular updates on how to solve hair issues with oil, subscribe to the newsletter below and also grab some exclusive freebies and discount codes on the Healthy Hair Care Resources! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.