This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
I just love sunflowers. They’re so beautiful and bring a smile to my face for no obvious reason :). The oil is derived from the seeds of the beautiful sunflower, a yellow flower from the asteraceae family. The taste of sunflower oil is mild and pleasant, and it contains the highest amount of vitamin E compared to other vegetable oils. It is rich in essential fatty acids, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
Sunflower oil is one of the best oils to use as an emollient. It softens hair and makes it easier to handle. It also prevents loss of moisture from the hair, which makes it great for sealing as well!
Sunflower Oil Shampoo
You will need ½ cup of distilled water, ½ cup of liquid castile soap like Desert Essence Liquid Soap or Dr Bronner’s Castile Liquid Soap, 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil & ½ teaspoon of rosemary essential oil.
- Heat up the distilled water then add in the castile soap, sunflower oil and rosemary essential oil.
- Mix together until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then apply the shampoo to your hair normally.
Tip: You can prepare it the evening before and keep refrigerated until ready for use. Since there are no preservatives, it’s better to make this in small quantities as required instead of a large batch at once.
Sunflower Oil Dry Hair Treatment
- Mix the egg yolk until frothy then add in the wheat germ oil and sunflower oil.
- Mix thoroughly; allow to settle before applying to the length of your dry hair, smoothening in and making sure all strands are coated.
- Cover with a shower cap and leave in for 30 minutes.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo, followed by your usual deep conditioning.
Regular application leads to smooth and lustrous hair, full of sheen. As with soybean oil, watch out to make sure the oil you’re purchasing hasn’t been partially hydrogenated.
Additionally, you can also include sunflower seeds in your diet in small quantities if you like. Watch a short video on why HERE. You can either try the raw hulled sunflower seeds variety or shelled, roasted & salted sunflower seeds variety. Keep in mind; a handful of sunflower seeds can pack a punch of up to 165 calories so snack lightly.
Fast Fact: The largest producers of sunflower oil are Russia, Ukraine & Argentina.
Did you enjoy the article? For regular updates on how to solve hair issues with oil, subscribe to the newsletter below and also grab some exclusive freebies! 🙂