This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Arnica is a perennial plant from the same family as the sunflower. The flower grows primarily in North America but can also be found in Eurasia. Its flowers are a deep yellow with an orange center. The flower is aka leopardsbane and wolfsbane.
The arnica flower is used frequently in natural medicine and homeopathy due to its pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties.
Arnica oil is produced from the flower heads via steam distillation or CO2 extraction. The oil is a light yellow and non-vicious. About 50% of arnica oil is made up of several essential fatty acids such as palmitic, linolenic, linoleic, and myristic acids while the other 50% is made up of thymol, an antibacterial component.
The Best Benefits of Arnica Oil
- Arnica oil is excellent for healing bruises. A small application of an arnica oil solution to most bruises will facilitate faster healing.
- If you’re an active sports or fitness person, you’ll be familiar with soreness and inflammation caused by injuries. Applying arnica oil will help relieve the pain and lessen inflammation due to the helenalin contained in the oil.
- There are some studies that suggest arnica oil is a suitable treatment for arthritis. It should however not be used as a replacement for prescriptions from your physician for the condition.
Potent Arnica Oil Salve for Pain & Inflammation
- Combine the arnica oil with MSM powder until a paste is formed.
- Apply over the problem area and massage in gently.
- Leave in overnight.
- If you have an open wound, do not apply arnica oil to it.
Some good oils to combine arnica oil with include grapeseed oil, coconut oil and sweet almond oil. Arnica oil should never be orally ingested as it’s toxic and can lead to irregular heartbeat, dizziness, nausea and irritation. Additionally, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s a good idea to check with your doctor before including arnica oil in your beauty regimen.