Sea-buckthorn oil is particularly effective for helping hair retain moisture and can be used as a pre-poo, styling aid, and scalp massage oil.
Sea-buckthorn oil is also known as Hippophae Rhamnoides (try saying that fast 5 times).
That’s a whole retinue of incredible benefits right there. Stick around as I dig into the benefits of sea-buckthorn oil for hair, how to use it, and the best brands of sea-buckthorn oil.
What is Sea-buckthorn Oil?
Sea-buckthorn oil can be extracted from either the seeds or the pulp of the sea-buckthorn fruit. Though they come from the same source, both oils have a few subtle differences between them.
Sea-buckthorn seed oil contains omega-3 and omega-6 while the pulp oil contains omega-7.
Sea-buckthorn seed oil has a lighter consistency while the pulp oil has a viscous consistency. Their aroma is similar.
There are articles that suggest oil extracted from the seed is better but there is no scientific proof of this. You can try both and see which works best for your hair.
Interesting fact – sea-buckthorn oil was once used to cure blindness in horses. Other natural oils which work well for sealing moisture in hair include:-
Benefits of Sea-Buckthorn Oil for Hair
Sea-buckthorn oil contains a very unique fatty acid – omega-7 (palmitoleic acid). Sea-buckthorn oil has the highest concentration of this fatty acid out of all natural oils.
While this acid is primarily beneficial for skin care, it also has restorative qualities which can benefit the hair.
2. Vitamin A
Sea-buckthorn oil contains three times more vitamin A than carrots. Vitamin A helps strengthen hair and prevent hair damage. Additionally, vitamin A can help combat brittleness.
3. Vitamin E
Sea-buckthorn oil contains as much vitamin E as wheat germ oil. Wheat germ oil is one of the best oils to use for recovering from dry hair.
Combining wheat germ oil with sea-buckthorn oil in a deep conditioning treatment can pack a potent benefit for dry and dull hair.
4. Vitamins B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin), and B6 (Pyridoxine)
These vitamins are essential for healthy hair growth by stimulating the cells and promoting vital nutrients in the hair.
5. Amino Acids
Amino acids help keep hair soft in addition to strengthening hair and guarding against damage from the environment and mechanical handling.
How to Use Sea-buckthorn Oil for Hair
After applying your leave-in conditioner, pour a few drops of sea-buckthorn oil in your palm, rub them together and apply to wet hair. Work through, shake, and style as usual.
Scalp Massage Oil
DIY Pre-Poo Oil with Sea-buckthorn Oil
This oil mix will nourish your hair, replenish lost moisture and lock in moisture and shine if used correctly.
- 5 tablespoons of sea-buckthorn oil
- 5 tablespoons of pomegranate seed oil
- 3 tablespoons of apricot kernel oil
- 3 tablespoons of macadamia nut oil
- 3 tablespoons of rosehip seed oil
- Mix all the ingredients together and heat over a bowl of hot water.
- Apply to dry hair.
- Massage into your scalp and work through hair.
- Cover with a disposable cap and leave overnight.
- Wash out the next morning with a mild shampoo like Davines Momo Shampoo for Dehydrated Hair and proceed with deep conditioning. You can adjust the recipe based on the length of your hair.
Picture above is from a friend in Latvia. Those are cornflower-coated sea-buckthorn pralines. They look so darn delicious!
Sea-buckthorn Oil and Wheat Germ Oil Deep Conditioning Treatment
- 3 tablespoons of wheat germ oil
- 3 tablespoons of sea-buckthorn oil
- Your favorite moisturizing deep conditioner. Some good moisturizing deep conditioner recommendations include Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Hydrating Conditioner, As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner, Davines Award Winning OI Conditioner, and Obia Naturals Babassu Deep Conditioner.
Ensure the deep conditioner you’re using doesn’t contain protein as wheat germ oil has properties that mimic the effects of protein.
- Measure out your usual amount of deep conditioner.
- Mix the sea-buckthorn oil and wheat germ oil together separately and heat over a bowl of boiling water.
- Pour into the deep conditioner while hot and mix together.
- Apply to freshly washed hair and sit under a hair steamer for a great deep conditioning session.
Best Brands of Sea-Buckthorn Oil
If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.
The guide goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health.