This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
The benefits and uses of red palm oil were interesting to research. Where I come from, we use red palm oil as the main ingredient in beans, soup, yam pottage and sweet potato pottage. It’s also a common cooking ingredient in Asia and Brazil.
Red palm oil comes from the reddish pulp of the fruit, which grows on palm trees. The trees grow primarily in Africa and in some parts of the USA. Red palm oil is a rich red due to its high beta-carotene content. Another oil rich in beta-carotene is carrot Oil.
Red palm oil also contains tocotrienols – a member of the vitamin E family, carotenoids, phytosterols, squalene, and CoQ10.
It is semi-solid at room temperature but can be melted by placing the bottle in a bowl of hot water. It has a high smoking point of 302° F making it suitable for high heat cooking.
Awesome Properties of Red Palm Oil for Hair
- The beta-carotene contained in the oil is a basis of vitamin A, which is easily absorbed by the scalp.
- Red palm oil can add extra sheen to dry and dull looking tresses.
- Red palm oil contains tocopherols and tocotrienols (vitamin E), which lead to soft, strong and healthy hair.
- There have been suggestions it could also assist to maintain your natural hair colour.
- Adding it to your diet helps healthy hair growth from inside. You can use red palm oil for frying and as the base for a sauce in your favourite foods like yams and potatoes.
How To Use Red Palm Oil for Hair – Pre-poo
- Melt enough red palm oil for your hair; about 3 – 5 tablespoons for shoulder length hair.
- Part your hair into 4 – 8 sections.
- Apply to your scalp and length of your dry locks, smoothening it in a downward movement several times as you apply to hair.
- Once your hair and scalp are covered, massage the oil into your scalp in slow circular movements, cover with a shower cap and wrap a towel around your head
- Leave on for 45 minutes – 1 hour, then wash out with a mild moisturizing shampoo like Giovanni Smooth As Silk Moisturizing Shampoo, Maple Holistics Moisturizing Shampoo and Design Essentials Natural Super Moisturizing & Detangling Shampoo.
A variation of above is wetting your hair before applying the oil and sitting under a hair steamer for 30 minutes. Afterward, wash out with a mild shampoo.
You can try it both ways to determine which method your hair will respond to best.
Red Palm Oil DIY Deep Conditioning Recipe
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of red palm oil with your regular deep conditioner.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Mix again.
- After shampooing, apply to hair and deep condition with heat for 30 minutes.
- Afterward, rinse and style as usual.
You can tweak the recipe based on your hair length. If you have colored hair, try the deep conditioning recipe before trying the pre-poo recipe.
A word of caution when it comes to application. Red palm oil can stain easily and is difficult to remove so wear something you don’t care about during the treatment and layer your bathroom floor with newspapers if necessary.
Where to Buy Red Palm Oil
Red Palm Oil Products for Hair
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils a comprehensive guide about natural oils.
Available in Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.