This one was interesting to research. Where I come from, we use red palm oil as a main ingredient in beans, soup, yam pottage and sweet potato pottage. It’s also a common cooking ingredient in Asia and Brazil.
Red palm oil comes from the reddish pulp of the fruit, which grows on palm trees. The trees grow primarily in Africa and in some parts of the USA. Red plam oil is a rich red due to its high beta-carotene content. Another oil rich in beta-carotene is carrot Oil.
Red palm oil also contains tocotrienols – a member of the vitamin E family, carotenoids, phytosterols, squalene and CoQ10. It is semi-solid at room temperature but can be melted by placing the bottle in a bowl of hot water. Dr Oz referred to it as a miraculous find in one of his TV shows in 2013 although it’s been miraculous for quite some time in Africa.
Awesome Properties of Red Palm Oil
- The beta-carotene contained in the oil is a basis of vitamin A, which is easily absorbed by the scalp.
- It can add extra sheen to dry and dull looking tresses.
- It also contains tocopherols and tocotrienols, which lead to strong and healthy hair.
- There have been suggestions it could also assist to maintain your natural hair colour.
- Adding it into your diet helps healthy hair growth from inside. You can use it for frying and as the base for a sauce for your favourite foods like yams and potatoes.
How To Use Red Palm Oil for Hair
- Melt enough oil for your hair then part your hair into sections.
- Apply to your scalp and length of your dry locks, smoothening it in a downward movement several times as you apply to hair.
- Once your hair and scalp are covered, massage the oil into your scalp in slow circular movements, cover with a shower cap and a towel.
- Leave in for several hours, then wash out with a mild shampoo.
A variation of above is wetting your hair before applying the oil and applying steam while covered with a shower cap. You can try it both ways to determine which method your hair will respond to best.
A word of caution when it comes to application. Red palm oil can stain easily and is difficult to remove so wear something you don’t care about during the treatment and layer your bathroom floor with newspapers if necessary.
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in PDF, Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.