This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
The pomegranate aka Punica granatum is cultivated throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa, parts of Asia as well as parts of the US. Pomegranate oil is cold pressed from the seed, which is nestled in the water-laden pulp found inside the fruit.
Each fruit can house anything from 200 to 1,400 seeds. Pomegranate oil is rich in antioxidants, vitamins K and C, potassium, copper, zinc and iron, and is a powerful source of punicic and ellagic acids. The oil is yellowish-brown in colour with a mild fruity fragrance, which leaves a pleasant scent in the hair. It is also light and rapidly absorbed upon application.
2 Ways to Use Pomegranate Seed Oil on Hair
- The light nature of pomegranate oil makes it excellent for use in your wash and go regimen. Wash and condition your hair as usual, then shake out as much excess water as you can. Afterwards, apply 3 – 5 drops of pomegranate seed oil in your palms, rub together and work through the length of your hair. Work it in a few times then lightly diffuse your hair. Say hello to shiny and nourished hair.
- You can unclog and balance the pH level of your scalp with pomegranate seed oil. Part dry hair and apply directly to your scalp. Massage until absorbed. Wait 20 minutes then shampoo and condition as usual. Once a week is enough for this treatment. In addition to unclogging your scalp, it can also stimulate your follicles.
Hair Tonic Recipe
- Mix all the ingredients together then leave in a cool area for a week.
- Store the mixture in an amber coloured bottle with a dropper so you can control the amount you use.
- Apply to your hair in 1 – 2 times a week. 5 – 8 drops is all you need per application.
Regular application will help to revitalize dry hair as well. The antioxidants contained in pomegranate seed oil ensure the longevity of this formula.
The next article will spotlight some great hair products with pomegranate seed oil.
If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a guide which goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health.