Elevate your wash and go to legendary status by incorporating pomegranate seed oil into your hair care regimen.
The pomegranate aka Punica granatum is cultivated throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa, parts of Asia as well as parts of the US.
In this article, I’ll cover pomegranate seed oil nutrition, benefits of pomegranate seed oil, pomegranate seed oil recipes for the hair and where to buy pomegranate seed oil.
I’ll also share some excellent pomegranate seed oil products for dry hair.
Pomegranate Seed Oil
Pomegranates are aka Punica granatum. The pomegranate plant is grown widely around the world and was traditionally seen as a symbol of health, fertility, and eternal life.
Pomegranate oil is cold pressed from the seeds nestled within the water-laden pulp found inside the fruit.
Each fruit can house anything from 200 to 1,400 seeds. The seeds are sun-dried before being cold pressed for the oil.
Pomegranate oil is yellowish-brown with a mild fruity fragrance, which leaves a pleasant scent in the hair. It is also light and rapidly absorbed upon application.
Pomegranate Seed Oil Benefits for Hair
1. Rejuvenates and Strengthens Hair
The punicic acid content in pomegranate seed oil helps rejuvenate dry hair and strengthen follicles. It also leaves locks lustrous and elastic.
The punicic acid content is also what gives pomegranate seed oil its abilities to improve wash and go results.
2. Softens Hair
Oleic acid and vitamin E content in pomegranate seed oil helps hair maintain softness and suppleness. It also eliminates dandruff and fosters an environment for a healthier scalp.
3. Moisture Retention
Linoleic acid content in pomegranate seed oil boosts moisture retention and soothes the scalp.
4. Easily Absorbed
As a dry oil, it’s easily absorbed into the hair without leaving behind any residue. It’s non comedogenic and unlikely to clog the pores.
Pomegranate seed oil can also help thin out other heavier oils or used as a substitute for heavier oils if your hair prefers lighter oils.
How to Use Pomegranate Seed Oil on Hair
Pomegranate Seed Oil Wash and Go
The light nature of pomegranate oil makes it excellent for use in your wash and go regimen.
- Shampoo and deep condition your hair as usual, then shake out as much excess water as you can.
- Apply your styling products – hair gel, hair cream etc followed by 3 – 5 drops of pomegranate seed oil.
- Work the pomegranate seed oil thoroughly lightly diffuse your hair. Say hello to shiny and nourished hair. The DevaCurl Devafuser is very good for this.
You can balance the pH level of your scalp with pomegranate seed oil. Use the recipe once a week. Additionally, it stimulates the follicles.
- Section dry hair and apply pomegranate seed oil directly to your scalp.
- Massage until absorbed. Leave on for 20 minutes then shampoo and deep condition.
Pomegranate Seed Oil Hair Tonic
- ½ cup of pomegranate seed oil
- 5 tablespoons of castor oil
- 5 tablespoons of sweet almond oil
- 5 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- 5 drops of vitamin E oil
- 2 oz bottle like this one
- measure all the ingredients into the 2 oz bottle.
- Close and shake the bottle then leave in a cool area for a week.
- Apply to your hair in 1 – 2 times a week. 5 – 8 drops is all you need per application.
Regular application will help to revitalize dry hair as well. The antioxidants contained in pomegranate seed oil ensure the longevity of this formula.
Pomegranate Seed Oil Side Effects
There are no known major side effects from using pomegranate seed oil on hair or skin. If you are unsure, conduct a patch test before applying it to your hair fully.
Where to Buy Pomegranate Seed Oil
Below are my best recommendations for authentic pomegranate seed oil for hair
Pomegranate Seed Oil Hair Products
- Nature’s Gate Natural Pomegranate and Sunflower Defense Daily Shampoo
- Burt’s Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate Shampoo
- Burt’s Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate Conditioner
- Nature’s Gate Natural Pomegranate and Sunflower Defense Daily Conditioner
Related Content: 3 Great Hair Products with Pomegranate Seed Oil
You May Like This
If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.
How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils is a guide which goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health.
Learn more about Healthy Hair Care Series Book 1 HERE.