Lemongrass oil is extracted from the leaves of the plant, which is found in subtropical regions of the world, via steam distillation. The plant grows in clumps and can easily be mistaken for grass with similar green leaves. It is commonly used for cooking in Asia in soups and curries.
There are several varieties of lemongrass but two are most commonly used for producing lemongrass oil – cymbopogon citratus and cymbopogon flexuosus. Lemongrass oil is thin with a pungent, lemony, refreshing aroma, which can be pleasant to the senses.
2 Potent Properties of Lemongrass Oil
- Lemongrass oil has several compounds including citral, which helps suppress the growth of bacteria and fungi as well as limonene, which helps reduce inflammation and irritation on the scalp. The two compounds working together can resolve most scalp issues and strengthen your hair follicles.
- Lemongrass oil can also be used in water-based products to inhibit the growth of microbial elements. I am currently testing this out with a hair gel I’m formulating. Once it’s ready, I will upload the information on here.
Lemongrass oil shouldn’t be used undiluted as it can burn your skin. The best oils to blend lemongrass oil with are rose hip oil, lavender oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil. My favourites are rose hip oil and lavender oil.
Lemongrass, Rose Hip & Lavender Oil Hair Elixir for the Scalp
- Mix 2 tbsps each of rose hip and lavender oil together and heat over a bowl of hot water.
- One hot, remove from the hot water and add in 5 drops of lemongrass oil. Mix again.
- Apply elixir to your scalp.
- Massage in thoroughly and leave in. No need to wash it out.
- Use two – three times a week before you go to bed.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll be interested in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide, a comprehensive tool for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots and filling in thin areas of your scalp. There’s a whole chapter in there dedicated to the specific natural herbs required for hair growth and why. Learn more and grab your discounted copy HERE.