Wheat germ oil, often referred to as liquid gold, is a rich and nutritious oil that can provide an intense moisture boost and restore health to dry and damaged hair.
This hydrated feeling from a wheat germ oil treatment can last for up to a week.
Yes, wheat germ oil is just that awesome! It can bring relief and respite to even the driest of curls.
In this article, I delve into what wheat germ oil, the benefits of wheat germ oil for hair, the best wheat germ oil recipes for the hair, and answer FAQs I receive about wheat germ oil for hair and skin.
What is Wheat Germ Oil?
Wheat germ oil is obtained from the kernel of the wheat grain. This kernel is located within the core of the plant and feeds the plant as it grows.
Though wheat germ oil is used on hair, it can also be used on the skin as well as in culinary applications.
Note – wheat germ oil may contain traces of gluten so avoid if you have celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity.
Wheat germ oil has a slightly thick consistency and a strong nutty smell, which isn’t overpowering though it bothers some people.
I hardly notice the smell whenever I use it because I mix it in with a variety of other ingredients.
If you don’t like the smell of unrefined wheat germ oil, you can mask it with the following pleasant smelling essentials oils:-
- Now Foods Lavender Essential Oil
- Now Foods Ylang-ylang Essential Oil
- Now Foods Jasmine Essential Oil
- Edens Garden Vanilla Essential Oil
7 Benefits of Wheat Germ Oil for Hair
1. Wheat Germ Oil Softens Hair
2. Vitamins for Healthier Hair
Wheat germ oil contains significant amounts of vitamins A and D, protein, and lecithin. These vitamins aid in strengthening, protecting and healing hair.
3. Essential Fatty Acids for Nourishing Follicles
Wheat germ oil is also a good source of essential fatty acids – linoleic acid, oleic palmitic, and stearic acids.
Essential fatty acids nourish hair follicles and promote healtheir hair growth.
4. Shiny, Smooth & Strong Hair
Wheat germ oil is one of the oils in the ceramide family with a 55% concentration.
That means shiny hair, smooth hair, and stronger hair protected against split ends and frizziness.
For more on this, read Using Ceramides in Natural Oils for Moisturised & Healthy Hair.
5. Easily Absorbed into the Hair
Wheat germ oil contains squalene, a polyunsaturated fat that’s similar to the kind of oil our body produces and thus has the ability to readily absorb into the hair and skin.
6. Wheat Germ Oil Promotes Elasticity
Wheat germ oil also contains B vitamins – B1, B2, B3, and B6. B vitamins promote healthy hair growth and stronger hair with elasticity while reapiring any existing damage.
7. Combats Frizz
With all the smoothing and softening abilities provided by wheat germ oil, it inevitably translates into frizz free curls over time.
Wheat Germ Oil Recipes for Hair
Wheat Germ Oil Pre-Poo Treatment
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of wheat germ oil
- 4 – 5 tablespoons blackstrap molasses such as Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Blackstrap Molasses
- Tresemme Aloe Vera and Avocado Conditioner or a similar conditioner
- 3 scoops of Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner or a similar protein conditioner
Wheat Germ Oil Hot Oil Treatment
- 3 tablespoons of wheat germ oil
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of hemp seed oil
- 5 – 10 drops of your preferred essential oil (optional)
- Mix the wheat germ oil, olive oil, and hemp seed oil together in a cosmetic bowl. Add the essential oils as well if you are using them.
- Heat up the mixture slightly over a bigger bowl of boiling water.
- Dampen hair and spread the mixture down the length of your locks using the 8 Effective Steps for a Scalp Massage Method.
- Cover with a shower cap and wrap with a hot towel or sit under a hair steamer for 45 minutes.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo and deep condition as usual.
Wheat germ oil is one of the most popular oils used on hair and can reverse a lot of the damage caused by mishandling, exposure to the elements, and other harmful hair products.
If you have never used wheat germ oil, now is a good time to jump on this bandwagon. Read user reviews of wheat germ oil HERE.
Tips for Using Wheat Germ Oil
- Wheat germ oil mimics protein and motions CPR is a protein treatment as well. Ensure the issue with your hair is a lack of protein before trying out this treatment so you don’t end up with protein overload.
- When you deep condition after these treatments, use a moisturizing deep conditioner without any protein or ingredients that mimic protein in it. An overload of protein is just as bad as not enough protein.
Wheat Germ Oil Side Effects
Wheat germ oil is generally well tolerated. However, if you have a wheat or gluten allergy, you should avoid wheat germ oil.
Best Brands of Wheat Germ Oil
You can find wheat germ oil online at the following locations:-
Wheat germ oil should be stored in a dark and cool area away from high temperatures in order to preserve its shelf life.
One of the products curly-haired ladies rave about is Salerm Wheat Germ Conditioning Treatment (Mascarilla Capilar) for good reason.
The key ingredient in this product is wheat germ oil.
Reviews have included intense moisture and soft hair after the first application. It comes in a humongous jar too so you can expect it to last for a while.
For more on recovering from hair issues with natural oils, have a look at How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.
Wheat Germ Oil FAQs
Is Wheat Germ Oil a Protein for Hair?
While it’s not exactly a protein, wheat germ oil does mimic protein and has similar effects on hair.
Keep this in mind when you’re planning your hair care regimen.
Does Wheat Germ Oil Need to be Refrigerated?
As soon as you break the seal on your wheat germ oil bottle, it needs to remain refrigerated especially if you’re going to be using it for culinary purposes.
Also keep in mind, wheat germ oil has a short shelf life of less than 12 months.
Can I Put Wheat Germ Oil on My Face?
Yes, you can use wheat germ oil on your face. However, it’s best for dry, flaky skin. Keep in mind wheat germ oil has a comedogenic rating of 5 so use sparingly.
For more on this, read Benefits of Wheat Germ Oil for the Skin.
Is Wheat Germ Oil a Carrier Oil?
Wheat germ oil is a carrier oil that blends well with lots of other carrier oils as well as most essential oils.
More Hair Products with Wheat Germ Oil
- Christophe Robin Color Fixator Wheat Germ Shampoo
- Christophe Robin Colour Fixator Wheat Germ Mask
- Weleda Wheat Balancing Shampoo
- IMBUE Coil Awakening Sulphate Free Cream Cleanser
- MOROCCAN GOLD SERIES Black Truffle Mask
Healthy Hair Care Recommendations
- The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide: Stop Hair Loss. Regrow Bald Spots. Fill in Thin Areas.
- Tea Rinsing Secrets for Healthy Hair Growth
- 365 Days of Moisture for Dry & Parched Hair
Abi is a natural curly girl who delved into the world of natural oils after severe hair loss issues. Through her research & testing, she was able to regrow her bald spots & a healthy head of hair. She is also the founder of Healthy Natural Hair Products & Ade Ori Hair Care, and the author of the Healthy Hair Care Series. Learn more HERE…
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.