This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Who knew cranberries would feature in the natural oils category? Delicious on its own, in sauces, pie, and juice, it is also the source of cranberry seed oil and is produced from cold pressing the seeds.
Cranberries are in the same family as blueberries and are found mostly in North America. It has a light texture with a pleasant fruity aroma, and is easily absorbed. It also has a high content of essential fatty acids, Vitamin E and other anti-oxidants making it a unique oil.
Benefits of Cranberry Seed Oil
- The perfect essential fatty acid ratio helps to rebalance the deficiency in the scalp, which causes scalp problems especially psoriasis.
- It also contain tannins, which is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agent, an ingredient required for treating scalp problems
- It is a superb emollient.
- Assists in absorption of the nutrients, therefore enhancing moisture retention and providing great hydration (always a boon for dry hair and scalps).
- Vitamin E helps keep the hair soft and manageable.
- The high anti-oxidant content can also help to stabilise the shelf life of other natural oils.
Cranberry Seed Oil Recipes for Scalp Issues
- After washing and conditioning your hair and before styling, apply cranberry seed oil lightly to your scalp and massage until absorbed. Proceed to style as usual.
- Two to three nights a week, apply cranberry seed oil to scalp, massage in until absorbed and pull hair into a bun before going to bed.
- You can combine 1 & 2 above. Do one weekly and two twice a week.
Adjust quantity and frequency based on your hair response. Cranberry seed oil isn’t cheap and comes in at roughly $10 – $20 an ounce but if you have tried several other things for your scalp issues and it’s not working, I highly recommend cranberry seed oil.
Fast Fact: Drinking cranberry juice can help eliminate urinary tract infections due to the tannins content.
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in PDF, Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.