Protect your follicles and foster stronger hair growth with these pumpkin seed oil recipes for hair. One of the best oils to use for hair growth and eliminating hair loss.
When the word pumpkin comes to mind, we usually think about pie, soup, Halloween, and Starbucks. Oil rarely features in that thought process.
However, have you ever wondered what becomes of those seeds you scrape out of pumpkins? They are destined for great things beyond the bin :).
Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair
Pumpkin seed oil is aka as green gold and pepita oil. The pumpkin is native to North America from where it was exported to parts of Europe over the centuries.
In Austria and Slovenia, pumpkin seed oil is regarded as an important culinary oil and is used in soup, salad dressings, and other local dishes.
The pumpkin seeds are dried then hulled, followed by roasting before the oil is cold pressed from them.
Pumpkin seed oil is a rich dark green color and can change to red depending on the concentration and thickness of the layer – a phenomenon known as dichromatism.
Pumpkin seed oil has a rich, nutty flavor. It is a rich source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, zinc, vitamins E and K, and phytosterol.
Pumpkin Seed Oil Benefits for Hair
1. Pumpkin Seed Oil Nourishes Follicles
Regular massage with pumpkin seed oil can assist with hair growth by nourishing the follicles. Massage into your scalp while doing an inversion routine.
2. Emollient Oil
Pumpkin seed oil is an emollient oil, smoothening frizz and promoting shiny hair. If your hair lacks luster, pumpkin seed oil will help rectify this issue.
3. Pumpkin Seed Oil Softens Hair
Pumpkin seed oil has a high vitamin E content. Vitamin E softens the hair and helps promote elasticity and manageability.
4. High Beta-Carotene
Beta-carotene is found in many plants and fruits. It is one of the sources of vitamin A, which helps with stronger hair growth and alleviates thinning.
For more on the benefits of beta-carotene for hair, read Why Beta-Carotene is Essential for Resolving Hair Breakage Issues.
How to Use Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair
Pumpkin Seed Oil Hair Mask
- 5 – 7 tablespoons of your favorite protein free deep conditioner (adjust for hair length)
- 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil
- 1 tablespoon of castor oil or Jamaican black castor oil
- 1 teaspoon of emu oil
- 1 teaspoon of argan oil
- 5 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops of tea tree essential oil
- In a bowl, mix the deep conditioner and the oils together until smooth.
- Place the bowl over a bigger bowl of boiling water and allow the mixture to warm up then whisk thoroughly.
- Shampoo and condition your hair then squeeze out the excess water.
- Apply the pumpkin seed oil hair mask in sections.
- Massage into your scalp with your fingertips then sit under your hair steamer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out with lukewarm water then style your hair as usual.
Secura 2 in 1 Tabletop Hair Steamer
Pumpkin Seed Oil Overnight Pre-Poo
- 5 – 7 tablespoons of pumpkin seed oil
- 2 tablespoons of castor oil or Jamaican black castor oil
- 1 tablespoon of emu oil
- 1 tablespoon of carrot oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 oz squeeze bottle like this one
- Pour all the ingredients into the squeeze bottle and shake.
- Place the bottle in a bowl of hot water and allow to heat up.
- Section dry hair and apply the warm oil mix to your scalp. Apply in small sections so your entire scalp area is covered especially the problem areas.
- When completed, you can apply any excess oil mix to the length of your hair.
- Massage the oil mix into your scalp thoroughly using this method.
- When your scalp is heated, pin-up hair, cover with a disposable cap and tie a scarf around it.
- Leave-in overnight and wash out the next morning with a mild shampoo then deep condition your hair.
You can also use this pre-poo mix as a massage oil 3 – 5 nights a week and wash out on your full regimen day. Can also be used with the inversion method.
Notice that in the recipes above, pumpkin seed oil is combined with specific hair growth oils. Using pumpkin seed oil on its own won’t work as effectively.
Tip: If your clothes are stained while using pumpkin seed oil, just hang it outside instead of washing and the sun will take care of the spots.
Pumpkin Seed Oil in Your Diet
You can also get the benefits of pumpkin seed oil via your diet. It is one of the best oils for the ketogenic diet.
Pumpkin seed oil can be used in salad dressings, dipping sauces, pesto, and other cold dishes. Heated pumpkin seed oil tastes bitter so avoid doing this.
Pumpkin Seed Oil for Skin
Pumpkin and pumpkin seed oil can also be applied to the skin and can help with conditions such as eczema and premature wrinkles.
For more on using pumpkin seed oil for skin, read:-
Where to Buy Pumpkin Seed Oil?
You can find pumpkin seed oil in most health food stores. Alternatively, you can buy the following recommended brands on Amazon:
Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Seed Oil
Flora Certified Organic Pumpkin Oil
Piping Rock Pumpkin Seed Oil
La Tourangelle Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil
You May Like This
Interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health?
Have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy and Long with Natural Oils.
It’s a comprehensive guide about natural oils and available in Kindle and paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.
Reference 1 – Effects of Pumpkin Seed Oil on Hair Growth
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.
Saturday 24th of December 2016
What other brands of pumpkin seed oil would you recommen? Couldn't find the one in the article. Thanks.
Natural Oils for Hair & Health
Sunday 25th of December 2016
Have a look at these ones. They're just as good -
Piping Rock Pumpkin Seed Oil - http://amzn.to/2hd7IDm La Tourangelle Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil - http://amzn.to/2hd3dZT
Saturday 21st of March 2015
Now, I want to eat pumpkin pie....
Natural Oils for Hair
Sunday 29th of March 2015
haha. Tell me about it..