After some research and experimentation, I worked out a recipe using henna and mustard oil, which can help to combat grey hair naturally over time.
Recipe for Covering Grey Hair with Mustard Seed Oil & Henna
- 1/2 cup of mustard seed oil like Yandilla Australia Mustard Seed Oil and Uncle Roy’s Cold Pressed Mustard Seed Oil.
- 1/3 cup of premium henna powder like The Henna Guys Henna Powder or Naturevibe Botanicals Natural Henna Powder
- Airtight jar
- Pour the mustard oil into a pan and bring to a boil. I used a wok because there was nothing else available.
- Once boiling, add the henna powder to it and stir gently making sure there are no lumps. Once the mixture is smooth, leave to boil for about 20 – 30 minutes until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool for a bit, then strain through a cheesecloth or colander.
- Pour into a clean jar and store in a cool place.
Below is a step-by-step visual of how I created the mix. It’s simple, and you don’t need to worry about stains.
I washed everything afterward and it all came out. I filled a little jar with the mixture. I imagine it should last about 8 weeks.
Treating Grey Hair with Mustard Seed Oil and Henna Video
Scroll down to the how-to card below to watch the recipe for treating grey hair with mustard seed oil and henna.
How to Use Henna and Mustard Oil for Grey Hair
A good scalp massage 2 – 3 times a week. Leave in overnight and shampoo and deep condition the next morning.
Hot Oil Treatment
Use it for a hot oil treatment before shampooing and deep conditioning or as part of an oil rinsing process.
I had mentioned earlier I will use the mustard oil with my next henna treatment but I think I like this method better. It helped stretch sessions between henna treatments.
For more articles like above, sign up to the newsletter below for updates, tips, discount codes, exclusive entries into giveaways, and copies of my free e-books.
Enter your details below to sign up. You can also Tweet your friends, family, and colleagues about the site HERE. Thanks! 🙂