Mustard seed oil and henna can be mixed to prepare a potent potion for keeping grey hair at bay and promoting healthy hair.
In my earlier articles about the benefits of mustard oil for Hair and How to DIY Mustard Seed Oil, I mentioned that mustard oil helps to combat grey hair when used with henna.
After some research and experimentation, I worked out a recipe using henna and mustard oil, which can help to combat grey hair naturally over time.
Recipe for Covering Grey Hair with Mustard Seed Oil & Henna
- 1/2 cup of mustard seed oil like Yandilla Australia Mustard Seed Oil and Uncle Roy’s Cold Pressed Mustard Seed Oil.
- 1/3 cup of premium henna powder like The Henna Guys Henna Powder or Naturevibe Botanicals Natural Henna Powder
- Airtight jar
The Henna Guys Henna Powder
- Pour the mustard oil into a pan and bring to a boil. I used a wok because there was nothing else available.
- Once boiling, add the henna powder to it and stir gently making sure there are no lumps. Once the mixture is smooth, leave to boil for about 20 – 30 minutes until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool for a bit, then strain through a cheesecloth or colander.
- Pour into a clean jar and store in a cool place.
Below is a step-by-step visual of how I created the mix. It’s simple, and you don’t need to worry about stains.
I washed everything afterward and it all came out. I filled a little jar with the mixture. I imagine it should last about 8 weeks.
Treating Grey Hair with Mustard Seed Oil and Henna Video
Scroll down to the how-to card below to watch the recipe for treating grey hair with mustard seed oil and henna.
How to Use Henna and Mustard Oil for Grey Hair
A good scalp massage 2 – 3 times a week. Leave in overnight and shampoo and deep condition the next morning.
Hot Oil Treatment
Use it for a hot oil treatment before shampooing and deep conditioning or as part of an oil rinsing process.
I had mentioned earlier I will use mustard oil with my next henna treatment but I think I like this method better. It helped stretch sessions between henna treatments.
For more articles like the above, sign up to the newsletter for updates, tips, discount codes, exclusive entries into giveaways, and copies of my free e-books.
More Healthy Hair Growth Resources
- How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils
- The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide: Recover from Hair Loss Effectively
- Tea Rinsing Secrets for Healthy Hair Care & Growth
- 365 Days of Moisture for Dry and Parched Hair
- Natural Butters for Hair: A Guide for Creating Recipes for Healthy Hair
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.
How to Control Greying Hair with Sesame Seed OilNatural Oils for Hair
Monday 17th of August 2015
[…] greying hair, mix sesame oil and mustard seed oil in equal parts and apply to hair and scalp. Cover with a cap and leave in overnight. Wash out the […]
Natural Hair Dye without Chemicals
Monday 17th of August 2015
[…] with henna and indigo followed by deep conditioning with oils. During the week, I applied the mustard seed oil and henna mix to my hair and scalp 3 times. I used two major ingredients for my henna treatment […]
Sunday 13th of April 2014
The recipe sounds great. I will definitely be giving it a try out!
Tuesday 15th of April 2014
Please let us know how it works out for you and do check out the video too.