Seal in moisture on colored hair more effectively with these hazelnut oil recipes and learn the best hazelnut oil for hair.
If you’ve ever experimented with coloring your hair, you know one of the challenges ladies face is keeping the color in for as long as possible.
Additionally, there are also struggles with hair retaining moisture and ensuring the locks don’t dry out.
Is Hazelnut Oil Good for Hair?
Keeping moisture in hair depends a lot on the hair products used post colouring your hair.
Hazelnut oil serves as a way to retain moisture and extend the life of your new colour.
What is Hazelnut Oil?
Hazelnut oil comes from the nut of the hazel, which is also known as cobnut and filbert nut.
Turkey is responsible for approximately 75% of the world’s hazelnut production.
Hazelnut Oil is has a strong flavor and a nutty taste and smell. They are rich in protein and unsaturated fat.
They also contain a significant amount of thiamine, vitamins A, B6 & E. The kernel of the seed is edible and can be used raw, roasted, or ground into a paste.
The hazelnuts are usually roasted before the oil is cold or expeller pressed from the nut.
Hazelnuts are also used to make Frangelico liqueur, praline, chocolate truffles, and the most awesome jar of goodness ever – Nutella!
Some people use it in pesto instead of pine nuts, walnuts, or sunflower seeds.
How is Hazelnut Oil Made?
The video below shows the extraction of hazelnut oil from a batch of hazelnuts:-
Benefits of Hazelnut Oil for Hair
1. Extends Hair Color
Hazelnut oil locks in hair color for up to 3 times longer especially if you use commercial hair dyes to color your hair.
2. Protects Hair
Hazelnut oil acts as a barrier against the sun’s UV rays. If you spend a lot of time outdoors or on the beach, hazelnut oil can help protect hair against the elements.
3. Strengthens Hair
The protein content of hazelnut oil helps strengthen weak, brittle, and/or damaged hair.
4. Promotes Moisture Retention
Hazelnut oil is lightweight, non-greasy. It is absorbed quickly into the hair making it an excellent sealing oil.
5. Adds Volume to Hair
Hazelnut oil adds volume to limp, fine, or thin hair. Used as part of your deep conditioning regimen, it will give more body to hair.
How to Use Hazelnut Oil on Hair
Hot Oil Treatment with Hazelnut Oil
- 5 tablespoons of hazelnut oil
- 3 tablespoons of castor oil
- 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil
- 2 tablespoons of apricot kernel oil
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Wash your hair with a mild clarifying shampoo. If your hair is already clean, you can skip this step and just wet your hair slightly.
- Mix the oils together and warm up over a bowl of hot water.
- Apply to the length of your hair, smoothening thoroughly. You can also apply it to your scalp and give yourself a good scalp massage.
- Twist and pin your hair on top of your head, then sit under a hairdryer for 20 mins.
- Rinse the oil out with warm water then deep condition your hair.
Hazelnut Oil Hair Strengthening Serum
- 10 tablespoons of hazelnut oil
- 3 tablespoons of wheat germ or hemp seed oil
- 5 drops of vitamin E oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Mix the ingredients together and store in a dark glass bottle.
- Apply a few drops every few days to your palm, warm up between your palms and apply to the length of your hair like you would sealing oil.
- You can also apply a few drops to your hair before blow-drying.
Best Hazelnut Oil for Hair
You can buy hazelnut oil at your local grocery store or online on Amazon. Below are recommendations for the top 3 brands of hazelnut oil including my favorite.
Keep hazelnut oil away from heat and don’t expose it to direct light.
Life Flo Pure Hazelnut Oil
La Tourangelle Roasted Hazelnut Oil
Roland Hazelnut Oil
Is Hazelnut Good for You?
Hazelnuts are very good for you and you can get the benefits by adding hazelnuts into your diet as a snack. The toasted/roasted variety is delicious.
Sincerely Nuts Raw Hazelnuts
AZNUT Roasted Hazelnuts
Visit Our Store
Did you enjoy the article? For more information on including natural oils in your hair care regimen for moisture, growth, and retention, be sure to have a look at How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.
Sunday 28th of December 2014
I love Nutella! I haven't tried hazel nuts roasted before, but I'll try a few out if I see them at the store. May add some to a batch of cookies. :)