Mafura oil was made popular with the introduction of Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil line into the market some years ago. The line claims to be specially formulated to provide intense hydration for dry hair but what exactly is mafura oil?
What is Mafura Oil?
Mafura oil is produced from the red seeds of the Trichilia emetica tree located in several regions in South Africa, primarily Mozambique. Mafura oil is aka Cape Mahogany Oil, Natal Mahogany Oil and Trichilia Oil. In Mozambique, mafura oil is the only oil used in cooking. It is also used in hair care and for treating skin conditions such as burns.
Mafura oil has a consistency that’s similar to butter when it’s at room temperature. However, it liquifies at higher temperatures. It has a mild and pleasant aroma. It’s expeller pressed and has a shelf life of 2 years.
Related Content: Manuka Honey for Hair
Benefits and Uses of Mafura Oil for Dry and Dull Hair
- Mafura oil is rich in essential fatty acids, which provide nourishing and revitalising effects on dry and dull hair.
- Due to its long shelf life, mafura oil can be used to stabilize and elongate the life of DIY mixes using oils with a shorter shelf life.
- Mafura oil is an effective emollient oil alongside other natural oils like camellia oil, coconut oil and babassu oil. Emollient oils are ideally suited for dry and parched hair as they help soften hair while locking in moisture. If you DIY your hair butter, add mafura oil as one of the ingredients and use it for braid outs and twist outs.
- Mafura oil helps restore vitality to dull and lifeless hair.
- Using mafura oil in one of your pre-poo mixes will help effectively prep your hair for the other treatments to follow.
- As a non-drying oil, mafura oil is absorbed quickly into the hair without leaving any residue.
Related Content: Rejuvenate & Nourish Your Hair with Camellia Oil
How to Use Mafura Oil for Dry and Dull Hair
In addition to the ways outlined above, add generously to your shampoo, DIY hair butter for styling and as a sealing oil.
You can also check out the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil line, Ouidad Curl Recovery Defining Styling Soufflé and Ouidad Melt Down Extreme Repair Mask. These products contain mafura oil and/or mafura butter. Mafura oil is derived from the red seeds while mafura butter is derived from the kernel.
Related Content: Natural Butters for Curly Hair