What is Avocado Oil?
Avocado oil also contains proteins, beta-carotene and essential unsaturated fatty acids such as palmitic, palmitoleic, stearic, oleic, linoleic and linolenic. The best oils to mix avocado oil with are sweet almond oil and olive oil.
Benefits of Avocado Oil for Healthy Hair
1. Keeps Hair Soft
The high vitamin E content helps keep hair soft and manageable. Read Nourish, Soften and Enhance Your Hair with Vitamin E Oil.
2. Treatment for Dry and Brittle Hair
The monosaturated fats contained in avocado oil are similar to olive oil. It provides rich moisturizing properties for treating dry, brittle and/or damaged hair. It’s also beneficial for treatment aftereffects of chemically processed hair.
3. Ideal for Fine Hair
Avocado oil’s light texture makes it easy to absorb into the scalp without leaving behind a greasy residue. Ideal for all hair types especially fine hair.
DIY Avocado Oil Recipes for Dry and Damaged Hair
1. Avocado Oil Hot Oil Treatment
- Mix the avocado oil and the sweet almond or olive oil together in a bowl.
- Heat over a pot of boiling water.
- Apply to the scalp with fingertips. You may also apply it to the length of your hair. Massage in using the 8 Steps to Effectively Massage Scalp with Oil method.
- Wrap a hot towel around your head for 15 minutes or sit under a hair dryer with low heat for the same amount of time. You can also cover your head with a disposable cap and wear a steam cap for 20 minutes.
- Shampoo and deep condition as usual.
2. Avocado Oil Hair Mask
- 3 tablespoons of raw honey like Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey
- 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and warm up over a bowl of boiling water.
- Dampen your hair and apply the mix to your hair.
- Cover with a disposable cap and let it sit in for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out with lukewarm water and follow-up with your usual treatment.
3. Supplement to Regular Hair Products
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to your regular shampoo before you start using it.
- Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to your regular conditioner for a deep conditioning treatment especially when you’re using heat. Read Portable Hair Steamers: A Look at the Best on the Market
The quantities used in the recipes depend on hair length and how heavy-handed you are with products. Adjust as necessary. Some other good complementary oils for avocado oil include carrot oil and apricot kernel oil.
Can Avocado Oil Regrow Hair?
When it comes to hair regrowth, avocado isn’t the best oil to use for this purpose. There are other more optimal oils recommended on this website for regrowing hair with natural oils. Have a look at the hair loss archives for more on these oils and the best ways to use these oils to regrow hair.
4 Fun Facts About Avocados
- The Hass avocado gets its name from Rudolph Hass, a mailman who discovered the tree in his backyard in California in the 30s. He patented the tree in 1935 and the Hass avocado was born.
- Avocados can only ripen once harvested from the tree. To accelerate the ripening process, place the avocado in a bag along with a banana. The banana will give off ethylene gas and increase the ripening speed of the avocado.
- An avocado tree can produce between 150 – 500 avocados per year.
- Mexico is the world’s highest producer of avocados followed closely by California.
Best Avocado Oil for Hair
Grab these avocado oil brands with free shipping when you sign up, risk-free, for Amazon Prime HERE.
Popular Hair Products with Avocado Oil
- Giovanni 2chic Ultra-Moist Deep Deep Moisture Hair Mask Avocado & Olive Oil
- Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Avocado Hydrating Shampoo
- Design Essentials Natural Almond and Avocado Shampoo
- Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Moisturizing/Detangling Conditioner
- Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream Moisture Repairing Mask