Avocado is a healthy and delicious fruit that works wonders for the body as well as the hair when processed into avocado oil.
In this article, I share the benefits of avocado oil for hair and 3 simple recipes you can use to promote softer and more manageable hair.
Avocados are one of the healthiest foods to eat. They are of heart-healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
The avocado fruit contains more potassium than a banana and has one of the highest protein content of any fruit at 4 grams per avocado.
Out of the awesomeness of avocado comes the equally awesome avocado oil.
What is Avocado Oil?
The fruit of the avocado oil can contain up to 30% oil compared to the seed (less than 2%) and the skin (less than 7%).
Avocado oil is green, has a sweet and nutty aroma, and is highly valued for its regenerative and moisturizing properties.
It is also an edible oil with a high smoking point. Avocado oil is rich in vitamins A, D and E, lecithin, and potassium. It’s high in monosaturated fats.
Avocado oil also contains proteins, beta-carotene, and essential unsaturated fatty acids such as palmitic, palmitoleic, stearic, oleic, linoleic, and linolenic.
The biggest producers of avocado oil in the world include Chile, New Zealand, Mexico, the United States and South Africa.
Since no formal organization exists to regulate avocado oil, standards similar to the International Olive Oil Council (IOC) was proposed by Science Direct.
Benefits of Avocado Oil for Hair
1. Avocado Oil Keeps Hair Soft
The high vitamin E content of avocado oil helps keep hair soft, pliable and manageable.
Related Content: Nourish, Soften and Enhance Your Hair with Vitamin E Oil
2. Avocado Oil Improves Dry and Brittle Hair
The monosaturated fats contained in avocado oil are similar to olive oil. It provides rich moisturizing properties for improving dry, brittle, and/or damaged hair.
Avocado oil is also beneficial for treating the aftereffects of chemically processed hair and dyeing hair with commercial products.
3. Avocado Oil is Ideal for Fine Hair
Avocado oil has a light texture. It’s easy to absorb into the scalp without leaving behind a greasy residue. It’s ideal for all hair types, especially fine hair.
4. Avocado Oil Optimizes Scalp Health
Avocado oil is a great treatment for dry and sensitive scalps. It provides a deep moisturizing treatment due to the rich monosaturated fat content.
Additional scalp issues avocado oil can helo with include dandruff, flakiness, and psoriasis.
5. Avocado Oil Protects the Hair
With avocado oil being a powerhouse of antioxidants and phytochemicals, it can help protect the hair from environmental pollutants.
Run it through your hair before going for a swim or if you will be in the sun a lot for added protection.
6. Blends Well With Other Oils
Avocado oil is a multipurpose and versatile oil that blends well with many other oils. It’s suitable for low porosity hair and high porosity hair.
Which Oils Go With Avocado Oil?
My favorite combination is avocado oil and grapeseed oil. The combination is great for hot oil treatments.
Avocado Oil Shelf Life
Avocado oil has a shelf life of 6 to 12 months. For more on the shelf life of oils, read Do You Know What the Shelf Life of Your Oil Stash is?
DIY Avocado Oil Recipes for Dry and Damaged Hair
Avocado Oil Hot Oil Treatment
- 5 tablespoons of sweet almond oil or olive oil. You can also use grapessed oil.
- 3 tablespoons of avocado oil
Step 1 – Mix Oils
Step 2 – Apply Oil To Hair and Scalp
Apply the warm oil mix to the scalp with fingertips. You may also apply it to the length of your hair.
Massage into your scalp using the 8 Steps to Effectively Massage Scalp with Oil method.
Step 3 – Steam Hair
Put on a disposable cap and wrap a damp, hot towel around your head for 15 minutes or wear a steam cap for 30 minutes.
Step 4 – Cleanse Hair
Shampoo with a gentle moisturizing shampoo and deep condition with heat.
Avocado Oil Hair Mask
- 3 tablespoons of raw honey like Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey
- 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
Step 1 – Combine Ingredients
Measure all the ingredients together in a cosmetic mixing bowl and warm up over a bigger bowl of boiling water.
Step 2 – Apply To Hair
Section your hair and dampen with some plain water. Apply the mix to your hair. When I’m applying warm oil mixes, I use an applicator brush like this.
Cover your hair with a disposable cap and let the hair mask sit in for 30 minutes.
Step 3 – Cleanse Hair
Supplement Hair Products With Avocado Oil
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to your regular shampoo before you start using it.
- Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to your regular conditioner for a deep conditioning treatment especially when you’re using heat. Read Portable Hair Steamers: A Look at the Best on the Market
The quantities used in the recipes depend on hair length and how heavy-handed you are with products. Adjust as necessary.
Can Avocado Oil Regrow Hair?
When it comes to hair regrowth, avocado isn’t the best oil to use for this purpose. There are other more optimal oils recommended on this website for regrowing hair with natural oils.
Have a look at the hair loss archives for more on these oils and the best ways to use these oils to regrow hair.
Recommended Hair Growth Resources
Fun Facts About Avocados
- The Hass avocado gets its name from Rudolph Hass, a mailman who discovered the tree in his backyard in California in the 30s. He patented the tree in 1935 and the Hass avocado was born.
- Avocados can only ripen once harvested from the tree. To accelerate the ripening process, place the avocado in a bag along with a banana. The banana will give off ethylene gas and increase the ripening speed of the avocado.
- An avocado tree can produce between 150 – 500 avocados per year.
- Mexico is the world’s highest producer of avocados followed closely by California.
Best Avocado Oil for Hair
My favorite brand of avocado oil is La Tourangelle Avocado Oil.
For more avocado oil recommendations, head over to Which Avocado Oil is Best for Hair?
Where To Buy Avocado Oil?
Popular Hair Products with Avocado Oil
- Ouidad Coil Infusion™ Triple Treat Deep Conditioner
- Giovanni 2chic Ultra-Moist Deep Deep Moisture Hair Mask Avocado & Olive Oil
- Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Avocado Hydrating Shampoo
- Design Essentials Natural Almond and Avocado Shampoo
- Design Essentials Almond & Avocado Moisturizing/Detangling Conditioner
- Avocado Oil – An Overview
- Avocado Oil, Allan Woolf, Marie Wong, Laurence Eyres, Tony McGhie, Cynthia Lund, Shane Olsson, Yan Wang, Cherie Bulley, Mindy Wang, Ellen Friel, and Cecilia Requejo-Jackman
- Avocado Oil: Characteristics, Properties, and Applications
- What is unrefined, extra virgin cold-pressed avocado oil?
Abi is a curly hair expert who delved into the world of natural oils after severe hair loss issues. Through her research, study, and testing, she was able to regrow her bald spots & a healthy head of hair. She is the founder of Healthy Natural Hair Products & Ade Ori Hair Care, and the author of the successful Healthy Hair Care Series. She continues to study hair science, Ayurveda, and natural solutions for healthy hair and skin. Learn more HERE…
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.