Abyssinian oil is aka Crambe seed oil. It is sometimes called Abyssinian mustard. Abyssinian oil is derived from the mustard plant and is quite a unique oil.
This article will examine the benefits of Abyssinian oil for hair, how to use Abyssinian oil on hair and the best brands of Abyssinian oil for hair.
Abyssinian oil is native to Abyssinia, which is known as Ethiopia today, and other parts of Eastern Africa. Currently, it is grown in other areas of Africa, Europe, South America and the US.
About 35% of the Abyssinian seeds produces Abyssinian oil while the rest produces meal and hulls, which is used to feed livestock once processed.
Due to its unique molecular structure, Abyssinian oil is used in hair care and skin care products as well as makeup.
5 Benefits of Abyssinian Oil for Hair
- Abyssinian oil is an excellent moisturizer. It is light and non-greasy ensuring it works effectively as a sealing oil.
- The high omega-9 (erucic acid) content helps to add luster to dry and lifeless hair, boost shine and protect the hair from split ends. It works the same way as argan oil. Another oil with a high erucic acid content is broccoli seed oil.
- Abyssinian oil mimics the effects of silicone due to its high omega-9 fatty acid content. This makes it an excellent oil to include in your deep conditioning treatments.
- Abyssinian oil is a supreme antioxidant oil. Its high shelf life means it can be used as a preservative in other oils as well as DIY concoctions.
- Abyssinian oil is highly resistant to heat and can be used as a heat protectant before blow-drying hair.
How to Use Abyssinian Oil for Hair
Because it mimics the effects of silicone, use it as part of the LCO (liquid, cream, oil) method. It will keep your moisture locked in for days.
Apply a few drops of Abyssinian oil to your hair prior to blow drying. This will help guard against split ends. You can also apply a few more drops after blow drying before styling. Shine for days.
Abyssinian Oil and Argan Oil Anti Breakage Recipe
- In a 2 oz bottle like this one, mix equal parts of Abyssinian oil and argan oil until the bottle is full.
- Add 5 drops of vitamin E oil like Bella Terra Oils Vitamin E Oil (75,000 IU).
- Shake and your anti-breakage oil recipe is ready.
- Apply as per the instructions on how to use Abyssinian oil for hair above.
Abyssinian Oil vs Argan Oil. Which is Best?
Both Abyssinian oil and argan oil have a high composition of unsaturated fatty acids. Abyssinian oil contains high amounts of omega-9 fatty acid while argan oil contains high amounts of omega-3 and omega-9 fatty acid.
Their profiles are similar and can both be used in the same way on hair with the aim of achieving the same results — shiny hair, sealing in moisture and strengthening the ends.
However, Abyssinian oil has a richer and smoother consistency than argan oil. Whichever one you choose boils down to personal preference and you can even mix the two oils together in the same treatment.
A comprehensive study comparing Abyssinian oil and argan oil can be found at Personal Care. One point to note is that unlike argan oil, which can be used in a wide variety of culinary recipes, Abyssinian oil is an inedible oil.
Related Content: Top 10 Organic Argan Oil Brands for Skin & Hair
Recommended Brands of Abyssinian Oil
Though pricey, a little at a time is all you need like argan oil. Expect a 4 oz bottle to last for a long time. With a long shelf life of 12 – 18 months, you don’t have to worry about it going bad before you get through the bottle.
The most recommended brands of Abyssinian oil includes High Altitude Naturals Crambe Abyssinica Seed Oil and Julia’s Essentials Abyssinian Oil. Always ensure the oil you’re buying is 100% Abyssinian oil and not the one that has been mixed with mineral oil.
Some Products with Abyssinian Oil You May Like
- Nubian Heritage Abyssinian Oil + Chia Seed Bath Bombs
- U R Curly Abyssinian Hair Oil
- Grown Alchemist Anti-Frizz Conditioner
- Curl Immersion™ No-Lather Coconut Cream Cleansing Conditioner
- Paul Mitchell Unisex Awapuhi Wild Ginger Mirror Smooth Conditioner
Curious about other natural oils and how you can utilize them for healthy hair care and growth? You may be interested in How to Grow Hair Healthy and Long with Natural Oils. Book 1 in the Healthy Hair Care Series resources. Check it out and grab 20% off the paperback copy HERE.