Last Updated on
Do you have bald spots on your head or general thinning areas? Thinning hair can be a distressing problem which can be brought on by any number of factors with the most common being:-
What Causes Thinning Hair?
- You’re overly stressed. If your lifestyle is too hectic, it can invariably affect your hair and start causing thin hair.
- Vitamin deficiencies such as low vitamin D, vitamin D, vitamin A or vitamin C.
- Iron deficiency anaemia, which is more common in women with heavy periods.
- Taking too many supplements. It can lead to too much of something or other in your body and trigger hair loss.
- A bad diet that’s missing vital nutrients needed for hair growth. Diets that also eliminate entire food groups without replacing it with something suitable cause hair loss.
- Excessive and overly zealous dieting aimed at exorbitant weight loss within short amounts of time can also lead to hair loss.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Hereditary hair loss within the family.
- Health issues like an overactive thyroid, lupus, medical treatments, etc.
- Excessive manipulation and hair styling can stress the hair follicles.
Besides the reasons listed above, there are so many other reasons that might lead to thinning hair. These reasons are covered in-depth in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide.
There are several natural methods that can help with reversing thin hair but this article will focus on one of them – burdock root oil aka bur oil. Not many people are familiar with burdock root oil but it’s one of the best oils to help with hair loss issues.
What is Burdock Root Oil?
The burdock plant usually has oviform leaves and belongs to a group of thistles in the genus Arctium, which is found in Europe and Asia. Burdock root oil is extracted from the leaves and root of the plant.
Benefits of Burdock Root Oil
- Burdock root oil is rich in phytosterols, calcium, chlorogenic acid, flavonoids, iron, inulin, lactone, mucilage, polyacetylenes, potassium, resin, tannin, taraxosterol and essential fatty acids.
- The plant also contains all of the necessary amino acids for building the kind of protein that creates hair.
- Burdock root has been around for centuries as a medicinal herb used to promote healthy hair, relieve scalp irritation and improve scalp condition.
- Burdock root oil contains vitamin A, which can help nourish the scalp and strenthen hair.
- The burdock root has been used in traditional medicine for detoxifying the system and purifying the blood.
- In addition to promoting hair growth, burdock root oil helps with scalp irritation issues, dandruff, and itchy scalp.
How to Use Burdock Root Oil for Hair Growth
- Apply burdock root oil to your scalp focusing on the thin areas and massage in using the 8 step method, then leave it overnight.
- Shampoo and deep condition the next day. You can also leave in until you shampoo and condition on the weekend if you’re fine with the smell.
- You can enhance the properties of burdock root oil by combining with nettle, plantain extracts, olive oil, horsetail, birch, and gingko biloba.
- You can use burdock root oil as a daily scalp oil. Additional benefits of continued usage include improved hair strength and body.
- You should begin to see results in 6 – 8 weeks with dedicated usage.
Where Can I Buy Burdock Root Oil?
You can purchase burdock root oil at your local herbal store or make your own in the comfort of your home. Read DIY Burdock Root Oil Recipe and Directions. Some good brands of burdock root oil include:-
Hair Products with Burdock Root Oil
- Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream
- Eveline Cosmetics Bioactive Burdock Shampoo
- Eveline Cosmetics Bioactive Burdock Hair Mask
- 100% Pure Burdock & Neem Healthy Scalp Conditioner
- MyHoneyChild Peppermint & Burdock Root Slip Conditioner
- Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Conditioner with Burdock Root
- Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Shampoo with Burdock Root
Caution: Diabetics and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult a physician before using burdock oil.
For more hair growth solutions, recipes, tips, tricks and free hair growth coaching, check out The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide.