Last Updated on
If you engage in hair treatments such as coloring, blow drying, straightening, and curling, you will develop dry hair and split ends over time.
One of the natural treatments that can help alleviate this issue is Manuka honey combined with natural oils. Manuka is the Maori name for the tea tree plant, which Manuka honey originates from.
Manuka honey contains major antibacterial properties, which kicks it up several notches above other types of honey. It has a vicious consistency with a strong herby and earthy flavor that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
Manuka honey is used primarily as a sweetener but it has massive benefits for hair and skin as well. It’s one of the major ingredients in the popular Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil line (Mafura oil will be covered in the next article).
Benefits of Manuka Honey for Hair
Manuka honey contains four times more of the vitamins and minerals in regular honey such as vitamin B, vitamin C, zinc, iron, magnesium, copper, potassium, and selenium.
Differences Between Raw Honey & Manuka Honey
Raw honey is made from any type of plant including the Manuka bush. However, a lot of raw honey is processed to some degree. Some raw honey also contains high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.
Manuka honey, on the other hand, is specifically produced from the Manuka bush and isn’t processed so it retains all of its nutrients.
Does this mean it’s better than raw honey for hair? Yes. However, if you’re using raw honey that hasn’t been processed in any way like Nature Nate’s Pure, Raw & Unfiltered Honey, this is also great for hair but remember Manuka honey has a higher concentration of vitamins and minerals.
How to Use Manuka Honey on Hair
Manuka Honey Hair Masque Recipe Ingredients
- 5 tablespoons of your favorite deep conditioner
- 2 teaspoons of Manuka honey
- 1 teaspoon of 100% aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon of rosehip seed oil
- 1 teaspoon of avocado oil or olive oil
- 5 drops of vitamin E oil
- Mix the Manuka honey, aloe vera gel, rosehip seed oil and wheat germ oil in a small bowl.
- Pour into the deep conditioner and mix well then add in the vitamin E oil and mix again until its a fine consistency.
- Shampoo your hair then apply the masque, focusing on the ends.
- Cover with a shower cap and sit under a hair steamer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out and continue with the rest of your regimen.
Manuka Honey Light Protein Treatment Recipe
- Heat up a pot of water until boiling then remove from the stove.
- Pour the ingredients into a separate bowl then place over the pot of boiling water and whisk thoroughly.
- Apply to wet or dry hair, concentrating on the ends.
- Cover with a shower cap for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Wash out with diluted shampoo.
- Continue with the rest of your regimen.
There are many other variations of Manuka honey recipes for hair but I found this two quite effective for curly hair. You can adjust both recipes based on your hair length.
The Best Brands of Manuka Honey for Hair
The potency of Manuka honey is measured via the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) rating, which is related to the concentration of the compounds in it. The pollen content of genuine Manuka honey should also come from Leptospermum scoparium.
For use on hair, the Manuka honey brand should have a UMF rating of at least 5, which is viewed as adequate.
However, if you can afford Manuka honey with a higher UMF rating, go for it especially if you plan to consume it internally as well.
Hair Products with Manuka Honey
- L’ANZA Healing Strength Manuka Honey Conditioner
- Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Shampoo & Conditioner
Have you ever used Manuka honey on your hair? Did you see any noticeable difference?