This manuka honey recipe is a luxurious treatment that leaves dry and damaged hair soft, moisturized, and healthier over time.
If you engage in hair treatments such as coloring, blow-drying, straightening, and curling, you will develop dry hair and split ends over time.
One of the DIY natural treatments that can help alleviate this issue is Manuka honey combined with natural oils for dry hair.
Manuka is the Maori name for the tea tree plant, which Manuka honey originates from.
Manuka honey contains major antibacterial properties, which kicks it up several notches above other types of honey.
It has a viscous consistency with a strong herby earthy flavor that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
Manuka honey is used primarily as a sweetener but it has massive benefits for hair and skin as well.
It’s one of the major ingredients in the popular Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil line (Mafura oil will be covered in the next article).
Some interesting facts about Manuka honey – there is an ongoing fierce debate between Australia and New Zealand on the true origins of Manuka honey.
This is similar to the jollof rice war between Ghana and Nigeria that’s been going on for decades.
Benefits of Manuka Honey for Hair
Manuka honey contains four times more of the vitamins and minerals in regular honey such as vitamin B, vitamin C, zinc, iron, magnesium, copper, potassium, and selenium.
Differences Between Raw Honey and Manuka Honey
1. Processing Method
Raw honey can be made from any type of plant including the Manuka bush.
Raw honey isn’t filtered or heated. This minimal process is the reason why you might find particles such as wax and pollen in the jar.
However, some raw honey is processed to some degree and also contains high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.
If you’re using raw honey that hasn’t been processed in any way like Nature Nate’s Pure, Raw & Unfiltered Honey, this is great for hair.
Manuka honey, on the other hand, is specifically produced from the Manuka bush and isn’t processed so it retains all of its nutrients.
Manuka honey has a higher concentration of vitamins and minerals than raw honey and requires a UMF rating to confirm its authenticity.
Manuka honey has a thick consistency and is more difficult to work with than raw honey which has a light brown and smoother texture.
Nature Nate’s Pure Raw Unfiltered Honey
How to Use Manuka Honey on Hair
Manuka Honey Hair Mask Recipe Ingredients
- 5 tablespoons of your favorite deep conditioner
- 2 teaspoons of Manuka honey
- 1 teaspoon of 100% aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon of rosehip seed oil
- 1 teaspoon of avocado oil or olive oil
- 5 drops of vitamin E oil
- Mix the Manuka honey, aloe vera gel, rosehip seed oil, and wheat germ oil in a small bowl.
- Pour into the deep conditioner and mix well then add in the vitamin E oil and mix again until its a fine consistency.
- Shampoo your hair then apply the masque, focusing on the ends.
- Cover with a shower cap and sit under a hair steamer for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out and continue with the rest of your regimen.
Manuka Honey Light Protein Treatment Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of Manuka honey
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (EVCO)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (EVOO)
- Heat up a pot of water until boiling then remove from the stove.
- Pour the ingredients into a separate bowl then place over the pot of boiling water and whisk thoroughly.
- Apply to wet or dry hair, concentrating on the ends.
- Cover with a shower cap for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Wash out with diluted shampoo.
- Continue with the rest of your regimen.
There are many other variations of Manuka honey recipes for hair but I found these two quite effective for curly hair.
You can adjust both recipes based on your hair length and needs.
The Best Brands of Manuka Honey for Hair
The potency of Manuka honey is measured via the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) rating, which is related to the concentration of the compounds in it.
The pollen content of genuine Manuka honey should also come from Leptospermum scoparium.
For use on hair, the Manuka honey brand should have a UMF rating of at least 5, which is viewed as adequate but between 10 – 16 is best.
If you can afford Manuka honey with a higher UMF rating, go for it especially if you plan to consume it internally as well.
The brands I would recommend for hair are New Zealand Honey Co Manuka Honey, KIVA Manuka Honey (UMF 15+), and Steens Raw Manuka Honey (UMF 10+).
Final Word on Manuka Honey vs Raw Honey for Hair
Raw unfiltered money is fine for hair but if you want to splurge a little, you can go ahead and try out the Manuka honey as well.
Learn more about manuka honey here.
Hair Products with Manuka Honey
- L’ANZA Healing Strength Manuka Honey Conditioner
- Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Shampoo & Conditioner
Have you ever used Manuka honey on your hair? Did you see any noticeable difference?
Abi is a curly hair expert who delved into the world of natural oils after severe hair loss issues. Through her research, study, and testing, she was able to regrow her bald spots & a healthy head of hair. She is the founder of Healthy Natural Hair Products & Ade Ori Hair Care, and the author of the highly-rated Healthy Hair Care Series. She continues to study hair science, Ayurveda, and natural and healthy solutions for hair and skin. Learn more about our Editorial Guidelines…
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.