Wheat germ oil is loaded with essential nutrients, vitamins, and fatty acids. I love the way wheat germ oil makes my hair feel after a good deep conditioning session.
This hydrated feeling can last for up to a week. Yes, wheat germ oil is just that awesome! It can bring relief and respite to even the driest of curls.
Let’s take a look at what wheat germ oil is, how it’s made, benefits of wheat germ oil for hair and best wheat germ oil recipes for the hair.
What is Wheat Germ Oil?
Wheat germ oil is obtained from the kernel of the wheat grain. This kernel is located within the core of the plant and feeds the plant as it grows.
Though wheat germ oil is used on hair, it can also be used on the skin as well as in culinary applications.
Wheat germ oil has a slightly thick consistency and a strong nutty smell, which isn’t overpowering though it bothers some people.
I hardly notice the smell whenever I use it because I mix it in with a variety of other ingredients.
If you don’t like the smell of unrefined wheat germ oil, you can mask it with the following pleasant smelling essentials oils:-
- Now Foods Lavender Essential Oil
- Now Foods Ylang-ylang Essential Oil
- Now Foods Jasmine Essential Oil
- Edens Garden Vanilla Essential Oil
Wheat Germ Oil for the Skin
Read Benefits of Wheat Germ Oil for the Skin. I will cover cooking with wheat germ oil in a future article.
In the meantime, you can view the various other natural oils for cooking in the cooking with oils archive.
6 Benefits of Wheat Germ Oil for Hair
1. Softer Hair
2. Vitamins for Healthier Hair
Wheat germ oil contains significant amounts of vitamins A and D, protein, and lecithin.
3. Essential Fatty Acids for Nourishing Follicles
Wheat germ oil is also a good source of essential fatty acids – linoleic acid, oleic palmitic, and stearic acids.
4. Shiny, Smooth & Strong Hair
5. Easily Absorbed into the Hair
Wheat germ oil contains squalene, a polyunsaturated fat that’s similar to the kind of oil our body produces thus has the ability to readily absorb into hair and skin.
6. Promotes Elasticity
It also contains B vitamins – B1, B2, B3, and B6. B vitamins promote healthy hair growth and stronger hair with elasticity.
Wheat Germ Oil Recipes for Hair
Wheat Germ Oil Pre-Poo Treatment Ingredients
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of wheat germ oil
- 4 – 5 tablespoons blackstrap molasses like Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Blackstrap Molasses.
- Tresemme Aloe Vera and Avocado Conditioner or a similar conditioner
- 3 scoops of Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner
Wheat Germ Oil Hot Oil Treatment Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons of wheat germ oil
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of hemp seed oil
- 5 – 10 drops of your preferred essential oil (optional)
- Mix the wheat germ oil, olive oil, and hemp seed oil together. Add the essential oils as well if you are using it.
- Heat up the mixture slightly over a bigger bowl of boiling water.
- Dampen hair and spread the mixture down the length of your locks using the 8 Effective Steps for a Scalp Massage Method.
- Cover with a shower cap and wrap with a hot towel or sit under a hair steamer for 45 minutes.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo and deep condition as usual.
Wheat germ oil is one of the most popular oils used on hair and can reverse a lot of the damage caused by mishandling, exposure to the elements and other harmful hair products.
If you have never used wheat germ oil, now is a good time to jump on this bandwagon. Read user reviews of wheat germ oil HERE.
Tips for Using Wheat Germ Oil
- Wheat germ oil mimics protein and motions CPR is a protein treatment as well. Ensure the issue with your hair is a lack of protein before trying out this treatment so you don’t end up with protein overload.
- When you deep condition after these treatments, ensure you are using a moisturizing deep conditioner without any protein or ingredients that mimic protein in it. An overload of protein is just as bad as not enough protein.
Best Brands of Wheat Germ Oil
Wheat germ oil should be stored in a dark and cool area away from high temperatures in order to preserve its shelf life.
One of the products curly-haired ladies rave about is Salerm Wheat Germ Conditioning Treatment (Mascarilla Capilar) for good reason.
The key ingredient in this product is wheat germ oil.
Reviews have included intense moisture and soft hair after the first application. It comes in a humongous jar too so you can expect it to last for a while.
For more on recovering from hair issues with natural oils, have a look at How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.
Hair Products with Wheat Germ Oil
- Christophe Robin Color Fixator Wheat Germ Shampoo
- Christophe Robin Colour Fixator Wheat Germ Mask
- Weleda Wheat Balancing Shampoo
You May Like This
- The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide: Stop Hair Loss. Regrow Bald Spots. Fill in Thin Areas.
- Tea Rinsing Secrets for Healthy Hair Growth
- 365 Days of Moisture for Dry & Parched Hair