I have gushed about the benefits of wheat germ oil in 2 previous articles – 5 Ingredients for the Best Pre-Poo with Oils and My Regimen. I love the way the treatment makes my hair feel afterwards and it lasts for up to a week. Yes, wheat germ oil is just that awesome!
Wheat germ oil is unrefined oil obtained from the kernel of the wheat grain. It has a slightly thick consistency and a strong nutty smell, which bothers some people. However, I hardly notice the smell whenever I use it. If you don’t like the smell, you can mask it with lavender or ylang ylang essential oils.
Benefits of Wheat Germ Oil
- What germ has the highest concentration of vitamin E among all the vegetable oils. Vitamin E is excellent for maintaining softness in hair.
- Additionally, it contains significant amounts of vitamin A & D, protein and lecithin.
- Wheat germ oil is also a good source of essential fatty acids – linoleic acid, oleic palmitic and stearic acids.
- Wheat germ oil is one of the oils in the ceramide family. That means shine, smoothness, strength and added softness with frequent use.
Wheat Germ Oil Recipes for Hair
You can use wheat germ oil as part of your pre-poo. Below is a video of my pre-poo recipe – 5 Ingredients for the Best Pre-Poo with Oils.
Hot Oil Treatment
- Mix 3 tablespoons of wheat germ oil, olive oil and hemp seed oil together. Add in the essential oils as well if you are using it.
- Heat up the mixture slightly and apply to scalp using the 8 Effective Steps for a Scalp Massage Method.
- Dampen hair and spread the mixture down the length of your locks as well.
- Cover with a shower cap and wrap with a hot towel or sit under a steamer for 45 minutes.
- Wash out with a mild shampoo and condition as usual.
Wheat germ oil is one of the most popular oils used on hair and can reverse a lot of the damage caused by mishandling, exposure to the elements and other harmful hair products.
If you have never used wheat germ oil, now is a good time to jump on this bandwagon. Read user reviews of wheat germ oil HERE.
Wheat germ oil should be stored in a dark and cool area away from high temperatures in order to preserve its shelf life.
One of the products curly haired ladies rave about is Salerm Wheat Germ Conditioning Treatment (Mascarilla Capilar) for good reason. The key ingredient in this product is wheat germ oil.
Reviews have included intense moisture and soft hair after first application. It comes in a humongous jar too so you can expect it to last for a while.
For more on recovering from hair issues with natural oils, have a look at How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.