This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
If you live in a dry, desert and/or humid environment, then you’re familiar with the dry and chapped lips struggle. Previously, mine had me biting my bottom lip until it was almost raw from peeling away the dead skin with my teeth. Not a very pretty picture.
Initially, I tried several different things in the evening to solve this issue among which were:
- Brushing my lips gently while brushing my teeth every night. This may have done more harm than good by the way.
- A light layer of Vaseline just before going to bed.
- A light layer of cocoa butter before going to bed.
They all worked temporarily and the dryness and peeling eventually came back. A more permanent solution was required so I began experimenting with a mix of oils and natural exfoliants, changing mixes every forthnight to find out which combination worked best for my lips. I have sensitive lips and can’t be attacking them with exfoliants that are too coarse.
DIY Exfoliating Scrub for Dry & Chapped Lips
- Pour some baking soda into your palm and dissolve with a bit of water.
- Add 1 drop of agave nectar or honey, 1 drop of olive oil and almond oil.
- Mix together and apply the paste onto your clean lips.
- Rub over your lips in gentle circular motions for a few minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Apply a moisturising lip balm. This step is essential. You can use the balm recipe from this article. You can also add beeswax into the lip balm as this has been noted as a great treatment for dry chapped lips.
If you don’t have sensitive lips, you can replace the baking soda with brown sugar, white sugar or salt. In addition to the scrub, you also need to drink a significant amount of water and keep your body hydrated. If you fancy a bit of scent, you can add 1 – 2 drops of vanilla or ylang ylang essential oil to the mix.
Shop the Article