I have discussed pre-poo mixes in several previous articles on the website – 5 Ingredients for the Best Pre-Poo with Oils Ever and Soften, Detangle & Condition Dry Hair with this Moringa Oil Mask.
This article is a bit more specific; focusing on a mix you can use to detangle hair after taking out braids or extensions using the method I recommended in the Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils book.
The last time I wore braids towards the end of last year, I left it on for 3 weeks longer than I normally do because I was tied up with work. As a result, when I took out the extensions, my hair was a bit more tangled than usual and had some lint at the base. I knew I had to engage a bit more tenderness in handling my tresses to avoid unnecessary hair loss.
I followed all the same advice I shared in 11 Simple Steps to Take Down Braids Without Sacrificing Your Edges but I needed something a bit more than just coconut oil to work out all the tangled. This is what led to a few experiments, which eventually culminated in the oil mix below.
DIY Detangling Oil Mix Ingredients
- Mix sweet almond oil, coconut oil, castor oil, watermelon oil, wheat germ oil and argan oil together in the bottle (proportions in image below).
- Heat up slightly over a bowl of hot water then shake thoroughly. Your detangling oil mix is ready.
The image below is a 4 oz amber container, which indicates the amount of each oil that should go in for this mix.
How to Use the Detangling Oil Mix
- Pour a few drops into your palm and rub together, then start separating the parts gently. Do not detangle at this stage.
- Once all the parts have been separated, section hair into 4 then apply the oil generously on each section, working in with your fingers. Loosen the any lint trapped in your hair but still don’t detangling.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap afterwards and leave the oil in for 1 hour.
- You should find it quite easy to detangle your hair now and take out all the shed hair without having to struggle with your hair.
You can follow this up with a pre-poo or go directly to shampooing as the oils applied previously will have acted as a pre-poo as well. You can also use this formula to work out fairy knots.
I have read some people find wheat germ oil hardens their hair or they don’t like the smell. Though I didn’t try this, hemp seed oil should be a suitable replacement in this case.