Hemp seed oil aka hemp oil is derived from hemp seeds by cold pressing them. Hemp seed oil is darkish/light green and has a rich nutty taste.
This green color can be attributed to the high levels of chlorophyll naturally present in the seeds.
Repeated use of hemp seed oil over time can help to achieve silky and smooth hair texture. Read on to find out the best way to achieve silky hair with hemp seed oil.
Benefits of Hemp Seed Oil for Hair
1. Essential Fatty Acids
Hemp seed oil contains the most natural source of essential fatty acids and has the ideal balance of 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, which is perfect for the body.
2. Nourishes and Softens Hair
Hemp seed oil is non-greasy, moisturizing, nourishes, and softens the hair.
3. Facilitates Keratin Formation
It can help facilitate keratin formation on hair. Keratin is a protein, which forms the main structural component of hair and nails.
4. Prevents Loss of Protein from Hair
This puts a barrier of sorts in place, which prevents the loss of protein from the hair.
Internal Uses of Hemp Seed Oil
Nutritionists believe that taking hemp seed oil internally will provide better benefits than using it externally.
Hemp seed oil is supposed to reduce shedding and help stimulate the growth of hair and nails. Be warned though, the taste of hemp seed oil is a bit gross.
To combat this, try ingesting it in the following ways:
- Buy empty gel capsules and fill them with the oil before ingesting. 1 – 2 tablespoons per day ought to do it.
- Purchase ready-made hemp seed oil capsules.
- Add hemp seed oil into your daily smoothies. I add a variety of oils in mine and the taste is masked in the end results.
How to Use Hemp Seed Oil on Hair
Hemp Seed Oil Pre-Poo Treatment
- Mix hemp seed oil into your pre-poo treatment. You’ll be surprised at how soft and smooth your hair will feel like after rinsing out. You can also use it as a pre-poo on its own.
- Massage into your hair and scalp, twist up and leave in overnight then wash out the next morning with a mild shampoo and deep condition with a suitable deep conditioner like Davines Award Winning OI Deep Conditioner.
I don’t recommend applying heat with hemp seed oil as this greatly degrades the effectiveness.
However, if you’re not happy without some form of heat, you can heat a damp towel then wrap it around your hair for 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning.
Hemp Seed Oil Mask for Hair
- 5 tablespoons of hemp seed oil
- 3 tablespoons of honey or agave nectar
- 5 tablespoons of avocado oil
- 5 drops of argan oil
- 1 banana
- 5 – 10 drops of rosemary essential oil or eucalyptus essential oil
- Cut the banana into little pieces and pour it into a blender. You can also use a jar of banana baby food like Gerber 2nd Foods Bananas instead.
- Add the hemp seed oil, honey or agave nectar, avocado oil, and essential oils.
- Blend until smooth. If you prefer, you can replace the honey with 3 – 5 tablespoons of your favorite deep conditioner.
- Apply the mask to damp hair and work through your strands. Focus on your ends.
- Cover with a disposable cap and leave on for 30 – 45 minutes then rinse out with lukewarm water.
- Follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse.
- Apply your leave-in conditioner and other products and style.
- Amounts can be increased or decreased depending on the length of your hair.
In order to reap the full benefits, stick to the routine for 3 – 6 months. You can also combine the internal and external use of hemp seed oil.
Which Brands of Hemp Seed Oil is the Best?
Not all hemp seed oils on the market are created equal. Some of them are refined and can usually be identified by the pale color and lack of flavor.
Always looks out for organic cold-pressed hemp seed oil especially if you want to consume it. Below are the top 5 recommendations for hemp seed oil for hair:
For more articles like above, sign up to the newsletter below and a discount on How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils. Enter your details below to get started.
Hemp Seed Oil Hair Products
- Hempz Volumizing Conditioner with Pure Organic Hemp Seed Oil
- Hempz Volumizing Shampoo with Pure Organic Hemp Seed Oil
- Paul Brown Hawaii Hydrating Volumizer Styling Mist With Hemp Seed Oil
- Sheamoisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Moisture Seal CoWash
- SheaMoisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque
- Nature’s Gate Conditioner Nurturing Hemp Argan Oil
- Nature’s Gate Shampoo Nurturing Hemp Argan Oil
You May Like This
- The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide: Stop Hair Loss. Regrow Bald Spots. Fill in Thin Areas.
- Tea Rinsing Secrets for Healthy Hair Growth
- 365 Days of Moisture for Dry & Parched Hair