Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel of matured coconuts, which are harvested from the coconut palm aka Cocos nucifera. Coconut oil has many benefits for hair and can help hair recover from various issues in the long term. Coconut oil has over ninety percent saturated fat content, which makes it sound unhealthy, but in reality, the fat in coconut oil possesses many wonderful properties.
Coconut oil contains abundant amounts of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) or Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA) such as lauric acid and capric acid, making it one of best oils for hair. If you have ever been to the coastal parts of India, you would have noticed a lot of the men and women have thick jet black hair even those in their 70s. This is due mostly to the pure coconut oil they use on their hair.
What Makes Coconut Oil So Good for Curly Hair?
- Coconut oil can replace the natural oils your hair loses on a regular basis.
- Coconut oil reduces protein loss during washing to keep each hair strand strong and supple.
- Coconut oil’s stability prevents moisture from escaping from your hair.
- Abundant vitamin E in coconut oil keeps the scalp healthy and rejuvenates hair follicles.
- Coconut oil is one of the 3 oils that have been proven to penetrate the hair shaft thus fortifying the hair strands. The other two are Olive Oil & Almond Oil.
- An added benefit is ridding the hair of dandruff effectively.
Ready to treat yourself to the wonderful goodness of coconut oil? Then try one, two or all of the recipes below.
5 Coconut Oil Recipes for Curly Hair
- Applying coconut oil directly to your scalp and hair works best. Massage into your scalp at room temperature or slightly heated. You can cover with a cap for at least an hour, then rinse out with warm water and style. If you’re not crazy about leaving coconut oil in your hair, try recipe 2.
- After rinsing out the oil, wash hair with a mild shampoo, condition and then style as usual.
- For a deep conditioning treatment, mix a few tablespoons of coconut oil with your favourite conditioner and apply to hair after shampooing, then steam for half and hour. You can also leave in overnight if you desire.
- As a daily moisturizer, apply a few drops of coconut oil to damp hair before styling. Use just enough for the oil to do its job without leaving an oily residue behind. Focus on the ends of your hair.
- As a dandruff treatment, practice recipe 1 but with a few drops of peppermint or tea tree essential oils mixed in.
The best coconut oil is pure coconut oil which hasn’t undergone any chemical process. The coconut oil displayed in the hair section in supermarkets usually has cheap fillers like mineral oil and liquid paraffin mixed into it. Check the oils section for pure coconut oil. Read The 7 Best Organic Coconut Oils for Healthy Hair.
Here is a video of Dr Oz discussing the super powers of coconut oil. It’s not primarily focused on hair but covers everything related to the use of coconut oil (PS. It may not be possible to view the video in some countries).
Fast Fact: Coconut oil solidifies at room temperature. However, this doesn’t mean it’s no longer effective. Just warm up between the palms of your hands and it’ll melt.
Some Coconut Oil Products You Might Like
- Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-exfoliating Shampoo
- Madam C.J. Walker Coconut Oil & Brassica Seed Oil Duo
- Hask Monoi Coconut Oil Nourishing Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Coconut Oil Coffee Scrub
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in PDF, Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.