There are hundreds of hair growth myths, old wives’ tales and urban legends associated with hair depending on the culture one is from.
There’s a reason an entire chapter in The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide is dedicated to hair growth myths.
Below are some of the most common and universal myths about how hair growth works plus where to get information on what actually works.
5 of the Biggest Hair Growth Myths Out There
Hair Growth Myth 1 – Trimming Hair Every 6 – 8 Weeks will Lead to Fairy Tale Lengths
Fairytale length only happened to Rapunzel. The real-world woman isn’t locked in a tower for ages with nothing to do except groom hair.
The average human head grows approximately ½ inch of hair every month, which rounds off to about 6 inches per year.
If you trim your hair every 6 – 8 weeks, you’re basically trimming off any progress.
Take better care of your hair. This will lead to better retention, hence length and trim only as necessary. It takes approx 4 – 5 years to achieve waist-length year.
- Bamboo Leaf Tea for Hair Growth
- 3 Preposterous Hair Growth Suggestions That Don’t Work. Really.
- 20 Iron-Rich Foods Guaranteed to Optimise Your Hair Growth
Hair Growth Myth 2 – If You Extract a Grey Hair, 5 More will Come Back for its Funeral
This isn’t possible. I tried this a few years ago and nothing of the kind happened.
However, it’s recommended not to pluck out grey hair as you can damage the roots this way.
- How to Color Curly Hair with Henna & Indigo
- 7 Things You Can Do to Avoid a Henna Disaster
- Apply Henna & Indigo More Effectively with These Tips
Hair Growth Myth 3 – If your Hair is Really Dirty, you Need to Wash & Rinse Several Times to Get it Clean
Over-washing hair strips hair of all-natural oils and causes dryness, which invariably leads to breakage.
Washing hair thoroughly only once with a good and gentle clarifying shampoo will do the trick.
I have been experimenting with clay mixtures and it’s looking like it will become my go-to natural shampoo forever soon.
- The Power of Aztec Healing Clay for Hair
- 4 Suitable & Recommended Natural Replacements for Traditional Shampoo
- 3 Top Moisturizing Shampoos & Conditioners with Argan Oil
Hair Growth Myth 4 – Split Ends Can Be Repaired
Split ends cannot be fixed. They cannot be resuscitated. They cannot be glued back together.
They cannot be mended. Once split, they’re done. The only solution is to cut it off.
Applying miracle hair products claiming to regrow new hair over the split hair or related nonsense will only cover up the problem temporarily while the hair continues splitting up the entire shaft.
This will compromise long-term health and retention. Just trim it off and start again with a healthy set of tresses and better hair care practices.
- Prevent Split Ends with Moringa Oil
- Moringa Leaf Powder Benefits & Uses for Health
- Soften, Detangle & Condition Dry Hair with this Moringa Oil Mask
Hair Growth Myth 5 – Brushing Hair with 100 Strokes Every Day is Good
Not really. Brushing hair so much will pull it out and weaken the strands. Brush as needed for styling purposes and even then, brush as little as possible.
- 5 Best East Detangling Tools for All Hair Types
- The No 1 Key to Retention & Achieving Your Hair Growth Goals
Hair Growth Tips That Work
Interested in hair growth tips and recipes that actually work and maximize hair growth? Have a look at The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide.
Subscribers receive discounts on all the resources in the Healthy Care Series line. Learn more HERE.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.