Canola oil is similar to safflower oil. It was first bred by two Canadian scientists in the 1970s and was initially known as rapeseed oil but the term canola oil was created by the Canadian government from the phrase “Canada Oil” due to the negative connotation of the word “rape.”
Canola oil has a ceramide concentration of 21% with a mild aroma and a high smoke point (up to 375F) making it suitable for use with heat appliances. It’s an ideal oil to use for rejuvenating dry hair and replenishing lost moisture.
Additionally, the sterols contained in canola oil helps to treat damaged cells and reduce split ends. It is also high in vitamin E & K, 2 components required for strong and soft hair. You can also use canola oil for cooking although to get the most out of its omega 3 fat content, it’s best to use cold in salad dressings.
Canola Oil Dry Hair Mask Recipe
- Whip the mayonnaise (you can use an egg yolk instead if you prefer) until creamy then add in the canola oil and whip some more.
- Add in the almond oil, olive oil and essential oils.
- Mix it all together thoroughly then heat over a bowl of hot water until the mixture is warm.
- Apply to length of clean and dry hair, concentrating on the ends then cover with a shower cap and hot towel.
- Leave on for 1 hour then wash out with a mild shampoo like CON Argan Oil Shampoo or Renpure Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo.
- Deep condition then style as usual.
Use once a week continuously for 3 – 6 weeks to see an improvement in your hair condition.
Bonus: Dandruff Treatment Recipe
You will require 6 tablespoons of canola oil (you can adjust according to hair length) and 5 – 7 drops of either tea tree oil or peppermint oil.
- Warm up the mixture over a bowl of hot water.
- Part hair and apply to scalp until your whole head is covered.
- Massage vigorously for 10 minutes until your scalp has absorbed the mixture then cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave in for 30 – 45 minutes then wash out with a mild shampoo and rinse with warm water.
Be sure to obtain canola oil that hasn’t been genetically engineered (GE).
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in PDF, Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.