This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Colouring hair, even when done correctly, tends to lead to a plethora of problems such as dry hair, breaking hair and allergic reactions among other complications. A safe way to colour hair is through natural methods such as henna and indigo but sometimes, ladies still go with the chemical products available on the market for a number of reasons related to convenience and colour variety.
If you find your hair suffering from one or more of above problems caused by colouring, you can remedy it through the use of safflower oil.
Safflower aka Carthamus tinctorius is an herbaceous, thistle-like flower which blooms annually. It is a vegetable oil and is extracted from the seeds of the flowers. The plant’s flower heads bloom in yellow, orange and red colours, and has a very mild flavour.
Currently, there are two kinds of safflower oil on the market but the version high in monounsaturated fatty acid (oleic acid) is the edible version used in cooking and for hair care. Some great advantages of safflower oil are outlined below:
Benefits of Safflower Oil for Hair
- Safflower oil has a high content of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids, which makes it ideal for treating problems arising from colour treated hair.
- With each tablespoon providing up to 4.6 milligrams of vitamin E, safflower oil is a perfect source for hydrating your scalp and upping its antioxidant levels.
- Safflower oil also helps with preventing the loss of protein from the hair like peanut oil and coconut oil.
- Safflower oil has a high smoking point qualifying it as one of the oils suitable for heat styling.
How to Use Safflower Oil on Hair
The best way to gain the benefits of safflower oil is as scalp massage oil or for hot oil treatments. The scalp massage helps dilate the blood vessels, allowing more nutrients to reach the hair follicles. This fosters an environment for healthy hair growth.
The hot oil treatments will help to hydrate your strands and reduce the effects of hair colouring. It can also help enhance the colour. As it’s easily absorbed, you can use it as sealing oil a few times a week.
If preferred, it can be taken as a nutritional supplement. However, focusing on external application can help address the issues faster. Read my earlier articles on Healthy Hair from the Inside with Oil, Part 1 & Part 2 for recommended oil supplements.
When buying safflower oil, ensure you pick up the organic expeller-pressed oils. They might be more expensive but they are better in the long run.
Best Brands of Safflower Oil
The most recommended Safflower oil brands are Beauty Aura Saaflower Oil & Spectrum Naturals Expeller Pressed Organic High Heat Safflower Oil.
If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a guide which goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health.
You May Like This
- How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils
- The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide: Stop Hair Loss. Regrow Bald Spots. Fill in Thin Areas.
- Tea Rinsing Secrets for Healthy Hair Growth