This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Pistachio oil is part of Using Ceramides in Natural Oils for Moisturised & Healthy Hair series with a ceramide concentration of 32.7%. It’s not popular in hair care, however, most likely due to its prohibitive cost. The oil is extracted from the fruit of the pistachio nut, which is aka Pistacia vera.
Pistachio oil is bright green colour and has a strong and distinctive flavour. In addition to ceramide, it is also high in Vitamin E, linoleic acid and other fatty acids. It is a natural, rich source of biotin, which helps to battle hair loss. An additional benefit to pistachio oil is its ability to help strengthen hair over long-term use.
If you are eager to try a new type of oil for your hair, you can use pistachio oil in the following ways depending on your budget:
- As a Hot Oil Treatment: Mix 6 tablespoons of pistachio oil with 3 tablespoons of walnut oil. Heat in the microwave for a few seconds then apply to damp hair, smoothening through in firm strokes. Sit under a steamer or hair dryer for 30 minutes then wash out with a mild shampoo. Alternatively, you can leave in overnight and wash out the next morning instead.
- Consume the Nuts as a Snack: Either roasted and unsalted or roasted and salted. The raw unshelled variety also works
but not many people like the taste.
- Baking: Add pistachios to baking recipes such as cookies, muffins and biscuits.
- Salad Dressing: Add chopped nuts to salad dishes or mix the dressing with pistachio oil.
- Garnish: Sprinkle chopped raw pistachios generously over ice cream. Sprinkle a dash of pistachio oil on sautéed vegetables.
You can find out more about the different types of oils with ceramides and how you can use them for hair in this article – Using Ceramides in Natural Oils for Moisturised & Healthy Hair.
Did you enjoy the article? For more information on how to use natural oils for hair care, have a look at How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.