Pistachio oil is part of Using Ceramides in Natural Oils for Moisturised & Healthy Hair series with a ceramide concentration of 32.7%. It’s not popular in hair care most likely due to its prohibitive cost.
What is Pistachio Oil?
Pistachio oil is extracted from the fruit of the pistachio nut, which is aka Pistacia vera. The pistachio nut is a member of the cashew family and originated from Asia and the Middle East.
Today, the pistachio nut is grown widely in Iran, US, Turkey, and China. The pistachio nut is one of the most common nuts in the world.
It is a popular ingredient in Middle Eastern deserts while pistachio oil is bright green with a strong and distinctive flavor.
Is Pistachio Oil Good for You?
Pistachio oil has a high vitamin E content with low levels of saturated fat, high levels of monounsaturated fatty acid and some amount of linoleic fatty acid.
How is Pistachio Oil Made?
Below is a video that shows pistachio nuts being cold pressed for the oil:-
4 Benefits of Pistachio Oil for Hair
1. Healthy Amount of Ceramides
Pistachio oil is a ceramide oil with a 32.7% concentration. Ceramides help keep the scales on hair in place and prevent hair from drying out and breaking. Read Using Ceramides in Natural Oils for Moisturised & Healthy Hair.
2. Vitamin E
Pistachio oil has a high amount of vitamin E. Vitamin E softens hair, promotes elasticity and enhances the quality and texture of hair. Read Nourish, Soften and Enhance Your Hair with Vitamin E Oil.
3. Strengthens Hair
In addition to ceramides and vitamin E, pistachio oil contains vitamin K and is a natural, rich source of biotin. These properties battle hair loss and promote stronger hair growth.
4. Excellent Emollient
The combination of ceramides, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E make pistachio oil an excellent emollient oil for smoothening the hair and giving a sleek look.
So how to use pistachio oil on hair? You can get the benefits of pistachio oil for your hair via the following ways depending on your budget:-
5 Ways to Get the Benefits of Pistachio Oil for Hair
1. As a Hot Oil Treatment
- Mix 5 tablespoons of pistachio oil with 2 tablespoons of walnut oil.
- Heat in the microwave for a few seconds then apply to damp hair, smoothening through in firm strokes.
- Sit under a hair steamer for 30 minutes then wash out with a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can leave in overnight and wash out the next morning.
2. Consume Pistachio Nuts as a Snack
- Either roasted and unsalted or roasted and salted.
- The raw unshelled variety also works but not many people like the taste.
- You can also consume pistachio butter. Try The Pistachio Factory Pistachio Butter.
3. Bake with Pistachio Oil
- Add pistachios to baking recipes such as cookies, muffins, and biscuits. You can also use pistachio oil in cooking. It’s recommended for the keto diet.
4. Salad Dressing
- Add chopped pistachio nuts as a topping to salad dishes or add pistachio oil as an ingredient in salad dressing
- Sprinkle chopped raw pistachios generously over ice cream.
- Sprinkle a dash of pistachio oil on sautéed vegetables.
You can find out more about the different types of oils with ceramides and how you can use them for hair in this article – Using Ceramides in Natural Oils for Moisturised & Healthy Hair.
Pistachio Oil for Hair Growth
Pistachio oil contains vitamin K and healthy amounts of biotin. They can help promote hair health and lead to strong hair growth when included in your regimen.
Though it’s not a common oil for use in hair care, it would be a great addition to your arsenal if you can afford it. You can combine it with other hair growth oils to make the bottle last longer.
Where to Buy Pistachio Oil?
Pistachio oil can either be refined or pressed from carefully roasted pistachio seeds which intensify the flavor. Some manufacturers also offer a blend of both types of pistachio oil.
Pistachio Oil Products
Pistachio Oil Side Effects
Did you enjoy the article? For more information on how to use natural oils for hair care, have a look at How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.