Macadamia nut oil is one of my favorite oils for deep conditioning because of its moisturizing properties. This nutrient rich oil is derived from the macadamia nut, which grows in Australia.
The macadamia nut is a staple diet among Aborigines in Australia where it’s known as Kindal Kindal. It is also grown in Hawaii, California and Florida.
There are a wide variety of shampoos, conditioners and skin care products that contain nourishing macadamia nut oil.
8 Benefits of Macadamia Nut Oil for the Skin
1. Rich Source of Squalene
2. Doesn’t Clog Pores
Macadamia nut oil falls between 2 – 3 on the comedogenic scale, which means its unlikely to clog pores and lead to breakouts.
3. Heals & Hydrates Skin
Macadamia nut oil contains over 20% palmitoleic acid (omega-7), an essential fatty acid that hydrates the skin, promotes healing and minimizes premature aging. This is one of the properties that makes it highly desirable as a cosmetic oil.
4. Light & Non-greasy
Macadamia nut oil is light and non-greasy, which is what you want in an oil you apply to your face.
It contains oleic acid (omega-9). This essential fatty acid is also responsible for its moisturizing properties.
6. Heart Health
It contains the perfect ratio of omega 3:6. When you add it to your diet, it promotes a healthy heart and efficient functioning of the immune system. You can add it in salad dressings and for sautéing. Other heart-healthy oils include walnut oil, olive oil, and coconut oil.
7. Antioxidant Properties
Its vitamin E content makes it a highly stable natural oil with a long shelf life of up to two years. Antioxidant vitamin E also protects skin from free radical damage.
8. Great for Shaving
How to Use Macadamia Nut Oil on the Skin
- Apply a few drops of macadamia nut oil to your face and rub in after cleansing your skin. You can also use macadamia nut oil for the oil cleansing method.
- Macadamia nut oil can be used to remove stubborn makeup before using a gentle cleanser.
Macadamia Nut Oil Body Oil Recipe
- Grab a 8oz empty bottle like this one.
- Add apricot kernel oil half way up the bottle then grapeseed oil a quarter way up followed by macadamia nut oil for the rest of the way so 50%, 25%, 25%.
- Add in 10 drops of argan oil and 5 – 10 drops of your favorite fragrant essential oil. Mine is lavender essential oil.
- Close the bottle and shake thoroughly.
- Apply on damp skin after showering.
- Use every day for excellent results.
Best Macadamia Nut Oil for the Skin
Genuine macadamia nut oil is readily available in most health food stores. Below are my favorite recommendations:
Macadamia Nut Oil Skin Care Products
- Aesop Camellia Nut Facial Hydrating Cream
- Being Salted Caramel & Macadamia Body Lotion
- Aesop Women’s Rejuvenate Intensive Body Balm Tube