Pumpkin isn’t just for Halloween and Thanksgiving pies. I’ve covered pumpkin seed oil previously on the site and its benefits for healthy follicles and shinier hair.
An excellent oil with omega-3 & 6 fatty acids as well as vitamins E & K. Apart from the hair, however, you can also use pumpkin oil and fruit for the skin.
One of my favorite exfoliating masks from MUAC is made from pumpkin. Used midweek after a peel, it sloughs off the dead skin cells to reveal smoother & glowing skin underneath.
The Amazing Benefits of Pumpkin for the Skin
1. Brightens Skin
Pumpkin contains fruit enzymes and alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), which brighten the skin and contributes to skin renewal.
2. Boosts Collagen Production
Vitamins C, E & K in pumpkin seed oil softens the skin and boosts collagen production.
3. Treats Acne & Premature Wrinkles
Vitamin A in pumpkin seed oil contains mild retinoids. Retinoid is an excellent treatment for acne as well as premature wrinkles.
4. Powerful Antioxidants
Pumpkin contains powerful antioxidants like beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Higher than any other fruit.
5. Keeps Acne Incidence Under Control
Additionally, pumpkin contains niacin, riboflavin, salicylic acid, lactic, and ascorbic acid, all crucial ingredients in dealing with acne-prone skin.
6. Regulates Oily Skin
Pumpkin also contains zinc, which can help regulate oily skin and heal damage from acne.
7. Improves Skin Texture
The smaller molecular structure of pumpkin assists with skin penetration to improve a dull complexion and hyperpigmentation issues.
Pumpkin Seed Oil Products for the Skin
Due to the many benefits of pumpkin and pumpkin seed oil, there are a lot of skincare products that incorporate this ingredient with some of the best being:-
- Éminence Organic Skin Care Yam & Pumpkin Enzyme Peel
- Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask
- June Jacobs Perfect Pumpkin Peeling Enzyme Masque
- Kat Burki PH+ Enzyme Essence
- Christopher Courtney Anti-Oxidant Chocolate Face Cleanser
- Make Up Artists Choice Pumpkin Exfoliating Mask
If the above recommendations are too much for your pocket though, feel free to make your own pumpkin exfoliating mask at home.
DIY Pumpkin Exfoliating Mask
- 3 tablespoons cooked pumpkin flesh or organic canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- 3 – 5 drops of vitamin E oil
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar or salt
- Mix all the ingredients together into a smooth paste. This is roughly for 1 use but you can adjust the ingredients as needed.
- Apply to face and massage face in gentle circular motions for a few minutes then leave on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and apply a moisturizing cream.
The recipe above works better for dry skin. If you have oily or acne-prone skin, replace the honey and sugar with a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar. Use this once a week for optimal results.