Last Updated on
Neem Oil for Hair
Neem oil is derived through crushing the fruits and seeds of the neem aka Azadirachta indica, which is a common tree in India, Burma & Maldives. Some industries extract the neem oil using hexane, which makes it a lower quality compared to 100% pure cold pressed. This substandard neem oil is used mostly in soap making.
Every part of the neem plant can be used. The fruits and seeds are used for oil while the antiseptic, antiviral, and antifungal leaves are used in a lot of skin care products. Himalaya Herbals Purifying Neem Oil Face Wash is one of my favorite nightly cleaners. Gentle and very effective.
Neem oil contains a lot of triterpenoid compounds, which accounts for its bitter taste and it has a strong odor similar to garlic and sulfur. The color of neem oil varies depending
Neem Oil Benefits for Hair
Neem oil helps soothe the symptoms of dry scalp, itchiness, redness, and irritation, eczema, psoriasis, and dandruff on the scalp. It also contains vitamin E and essential amino acids, which nourish the hair and scalp.
Neem oil also has high concentrations of Azadirachtin, the substance that’s responsible for the effect of neem oil on insects and bugs.
How to Use Neem Oil for Hair
Neem Oil Shampoo for Hair
- Mix 3 tablespoons of a sulphate free shampoo with 10 drops of neem oil and some distilled water in an applicator bottle.
- Wash your hair with the shampoo as usual. If you’ve never used a scalp massage brush, consider including it in your hair care regimen and using it for this recipe as well. Read Get a More Scalp Exfoliating Treatment with These Natural Oils.
- If you find the mix too drying, reduce the neem oil or dilute the mixture some more. You can also add 3 drops of jasmine oil or monoi oil if the neem oil smell is too strong for you.
Neem Oil Overnight Treatment for Hair
- For an intensive overnight treatment, mix 10 drops of neem oil with 3 tablespoons of jojoba oil, olive oil, coconut oil or grapeseed oil and massage into your hair and scalp.
- Leave on overnight then wash out the next morning with the shampoo and neem oil mixture from above.
Neem Oil Deep Conditioning Hair Mask
- 4 tablespoons of neem powder like Banyan Botanicals Organic Neem Leaf Powder
- 1 cup of rose water, lavender water or distilled water
- 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil, olive oil or sweet almond oil
- 3 drops of vitamin E oil
- Pour the neem powder into a bowl
- Slowly pour in enough rose water, lavender water or distilled water to form a smooth paste like mashed potatoes
- Add in the jojoba oil, olive oil or sweet almond oil and the vitamin E oil
- Mix together and apply to your hair in sections. If you’ve ever used bentonite clay or henna and indigo, the concept is the same.
- Cover your hair with a disposable cap and leave in overnight
- Wash out the next morning with a moisturizing shampoo
- If leaving it in overnight is too drying for your hair and/or scalp, leave on for only a few hours before washing out
- Use this mask once a week
If you’re fortunate to live in a place where the neem plant grows, you can just pluck the leaves, dry in the oven and crush to create the neem powder. Otherwise, some premium neem leaf powder recommendations include Banyan Botanicals Organic Neem Leaf Powder and Frontier Natural Products Neem Leaf Powder.
There is a possibility for neem oil to solidify at low temperatures. If this happens, put the bottle in a bowl of warm water. It should take only a few minutes for it to liquefy.
Neem Oil for Hair Growth
Due to its antiseptic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties, neem oil can aid other hair loss issues in the effort to promote hair grow and recover from hair loss. You can combine it with a number of oils from the hair loss archives to create a potent hair growth oil that will work excellently for your hair.
Taking Neem Oil Internally
Neem oil is toxic and I do not recommend taking this oil internally. There are plenty of other oils that are safe to take internally. Have a look at the cooking oils archives for more information on this. However, fresh or dried neem leaves can be consumed as a tea.
Ensure the source of the neem leaves is credible before buying. A good brand is All About Neem Inc Neem Leaves. In any case, speak to your primary care physician before you start consuming neem tea especially if you’re pregnant, nursing or have any medical issues.
Where to Buy Neem Oil
Always verify the neem oil you are buying is 100% pure. Most of the neem oil available in the store is usually amalgamated with other things such as mineral oil, which has a tendency to clog pores.
Neem Oil Hair Products
- Neem Turmeric Conditioner by Alaafia
- Neem Turmeric Balancing Shampoo by Alaafia
- Naked Neem Neem Scalp Shampoo
- Naked Neem Neem Scalp Conditioner
- Auromere Ayurvedic Pre-Shampoo Conditioner
The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide
For more hair growth solutions, recipes, tips, tricks and free hair growth coaching, check out The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide, a comprehensive resource for recovering from hair loss, regrowing bald spots and filling in thin areas of your scalp.