This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Itchy scalp and dandruff is a common problem especially among ladies who wear extensions and other protective styles. If you’re thinking of scratching or have been scratching in the past, just stop! The worst thing you can do is scratch. It will make it worse, cause lesions on your scalp and leave a trail of flaky whiteness behind you. Before we address the solution, let’s examine the causes of these problems.
6 Causes of Itchy Scalp & Dandruff
- The number 1 cause of a itchy scalp and dandruff is a dry scalp. If you’re not keeping your conditioning levels up, your scalp will eventually dry out and lead to these issues.
- A dirty scalp. Build up on you scalp over time causes dandruff.
- Sensitivity to some ingredients in hair care products can lead to dandruff. This is aka contact dermatitis.
- Overuse of hair products.
- Improper diet lacking in essential vitamins such as zinc, iron and vitamins B.
- Scalp inflammation conditions such as psoriasis.
There are several obvious solutions like adjusting your diet and maintaining moisture levels on your scalp to the problem. However, in addition to this, you can also include other solutions such as the use of a neem comb.
What is a Neem Comb?
I covered neem oil and it’s uses for scalp conditions in Gentle and Effective Treatment for Scalp Issues with Neem Oil. Neem is a medicinal plant with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties used for its ability to heal scalp conditions and stimulate hair follicles for better hair growth.
Neem combs are made out of the wood of the Indian neem and is similar to bone combs. It has a pleasant and refreshing smell, which should stimulate your senses while using it. The neem comb is more popular is India but women from other parts of the world are starting to catch on to it.
Properties of Neem Combs
- It’s anti-static, which means it won’t snap your hair or cause frizz and flyaways.
- Helps with even distribution of product and detangling hair especially when wet.
- Massages the scalp and relieves symptoms of itchiness and dandruff without damaging the scalp.
- They are best for curly hair types.
- Additionally, it strengthens and softens hair and can help facilitate hair growth through increasing blood circulation to the scalp.
- It also works to clear head lice.
How to Use a Neem Comb to Control Itchy Scalp & Dandruff?
The combs are created with almost blunt points so you can rake it through your hair and massage your scalp with it without causing any injury. The smooth teeth will glide through your hair. Use frequently to comb through the length of your hair, focusing on the scalp area. You should begin to see an improvement within 2 days.
Where Can You Purchase Neem Combs & What Type?
There are different types of neem combs, differentiated by the spacing of the teeth. You can purchase neem combs at your local ethnic beauty store or on amazon. I have made some recommendations below:
For more simple solutions to common hair problems with oils, be sure to check out the Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils guide. Sign up HERE or below for 35% off.