In this article, I break down the 5 benefits of oregano oil for the human body and how to create an amazing and delicious oregano spice rub that goes with everything!
This is the continuation of The Best Herbal Oils for Hair, Cooking & Aromatherapy. You can read the previous oils featured in the series at Herbal Oils.
The oregano is native to Eurasia and the Mediterranean region. It’s a common herb in the kitchen and is mostly used in cooking Italian dishes like pasta and pizza.
It’s also used to flavor dishes like marinades and dressings. I use it sometimes in my grilled veggie marinades and love its warm and aromatic flavor.
I also feature it in Mediterranean salad dressings.
5 Benefits of Oregano for the Human Body
- Oregano contains vitamins A, C, and E, niacin, potassium, calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, manganese, copper, and boron.
- Oregano is loaded with antioxidants that help the body fight off infections.
- Oregano contains the phytochemicals, carvacrol, and thymol, two powerful antimicrobials.
- Oregano also contains other properties that aid digestion.
- A cross-section of conditions oregano can help protect the body from including the common cold, fatigue, menstrual cramps and PMS, headaches, and some allergies.
Oregano Based Spice Rub Recipe
This great mix is rich and gives meat, seafood, and poultry a delicious flavor.
I use this spice rub on my salmon sometimes as it helps to mask the taste of salmon, which I’m not too crazy about.
- 2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon of dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
How to Use
- Measure the olive oil, herbs, and spices into a bowl and mix well together.
- Rub all over your meat, seafood, or poultry and marinate for up to 2 hours before cooking – roasting or pan searing. Also works on the grill.
DIY Oregano Oil
You can create a DIY herbal oil with fresh or dried oregano and a neutral-flavored oil. You can watch a video on how to do this HERE.
How do you use oregano and oregano herbal oil in your cooking? Did you know it had all these benefits?
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.