Adding chickpeas to your diet will make a great difference when it comes to achieving your weight loss goals. Chickpeas are the latest ingredient I’ve included in my fitness challenge meals and I’m loving the results.
In this article, I also share my favorite herbed chickpea recipe added from one of my go-to recipe blogs.
Chickpeas are a legume originally cultivated in the Middle East. It is now grown in various regions in the world with India being one of the world’s biggest producers of chickpeas.
Other foods in the legume family include kidney beans, black beans, lima beans, and peanuts. Chickpeas are aka garbanzo beans and chana in India.
Chickpeas are a common ingredient in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines, especially in hummus and falafel. In India, chickpeas are used in soups, stews, and curries.
Chickpeas are packed full of protein and fiber (both soluble and insoluble).
They also contain folate, iron, phosphorus, and polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids.
Chickpeas have a low glycemic index and contain a soluble fiber that helps reduce inflammation in the colon.
Additional benefits of chickpeas include helping to lower bad cholesterol in the body and promoting a healthy gut.
1 – 1.5 cups of chickpeas provide around 15 grams of protein and 13 grams of dietary fiber.
Can I Have Chickpeas for Weight Loss?
You can include chickpeas in your weight loss diet for more effective results. How does it help with weight loss?
Due to the high fiber content, chickpeas are incredibly filling, add bulk to meals and delay digestion.
The satiating effect of the high fiber and protein content of chickpeas means you’re less likely to snack between meals.
As an appetite suppressant, chickpeas provide a great natural and safe alternative.
This study found women who replaced white bread with chickpeas ate fewer calories.
A cup of chickpeas contains over 20% of the daily requirement for iron, magnesium, iron, and copper.
Did you know you can use the liquid in canned chickpeas as a binding and thickening agent in recipes? The liquid can also be used as a replacement for eggs in recipes.
This liquid is known as aquafaba and is very common in vegan cooking!
How to Eat Chickpeas for Weight Loss?
There are various healthy ways to include chickpeas in your diet for weight loss such as:-
- Hummus – there are so many variations of the basic hummus recipe that you’ll never get tired of it. I have mine with a side of carrot and cucumber sticks.
- Add chickpeas to soups and stews for added bulk.
- Chickpeas are also available as a ground floor which you can use as a healthier alternative for regular flour in dishes like muffins and cookies.
- Grind chickpeas to a paste and use for veggie burgers and other vegetarian meals.
- Roast or toast on the stovetop and eat as a healthy snack.
- Roasted chickpeas can also be used as a topping in salads. For more healthy salad toppings, check out 61 Healthy Salad Topping Ideas.
- Chickpea curries are quite delicious but be mindful of the ingredients used so it doesn’t turn into a calorie bomb.
Pan Fried Chickpeas Recipe
You’ll need a can of chickpeas, sesame oil and extra virgin olive oil, salt, freshly ground pepper, paprika and fresh mint, parsley, basil or cilantro.
Step 1 – Rinse Chickpeas
Drain the can of chickpeas, rinse and pat dry as much as possible.
If you use dried chickpeas instead, remove any debris then rinse well. Presoak for 3 hours or overnight then drain, rinse and pat dry.
Step 2 – Cook Chickpeas
Measure the sesame oil and extra virgin olive oil into a large skillet and heat up over medium setting.
Add in the chickpeas, salt, pepper and paprika and cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until the chickpeas are crispy and split open.
Stir the chickpeas around the skillet every 5 minutes until done. Remove skillet from the stovetop and add the fresh, chopped herbs. Stir in thoroughly.
Where to Buy Chickpeas?
Chickpeas are available canned or dried. For the canned version, be sure to look out for BPA free packaging. I have made some suggestions below.
Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo Beans
Yupik Organic Raw Chickpeas
Arrowhead Mills Organic Chickpeas
365 Whole Foods Market Garbanzo Beans
Eden Foods Organic Garbanzo Beans
Westbrae Natural Organic Garbanzo Beans
Equipment Used in This Recipe
More Chickpea Recipe Ideas
- Spiced Chickpeas
- Spinach with Chickpeas (this one looks incredibly delicious)
- Tabbouleh with Chickpeas
Have you tried including chickpeas in your diet to help with weight loss? Let’s know about your experience in the comments section.
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- Chickpeas suppress postprandial blood glucose concentration, and appetite and reduce energy intake at the next meal
- Health benefits of chickpeas
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.