There are so many seeds in the health world now with the most popular being chia seeds and flax seeds.
However, how do you know which is healthiest and how do you determine which is best for you?
This article will cover the differences and similarities between chia seeds and flax seeds, which one is best for you, and the best brands of chia seeds and flax seeds.
Chia Seeds vs Flax Seeds
Chia seeds are black and white seeds derived from the salvia hispanica.
They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, thiamine, niacin, calcium, iron, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc.
Flaxseeds also contain a significant amount of micronutrients such as iron, copper, and, zinc. Both are excellent nutritious accompaniments to most diets.
What Are the Differences Between Chia Seeds & Flax Seeds?
- Chia seeds can be absorbed by the body whole while flax seeds need to be ground in order for the body to absorb them.
- Chia seeds are more expensive than flax seeds at the current time.
- Chia seeds can be kept at room temperature while ground flax seeds will go rancid quickly if not refrigerated.
- Chia seeds have a less nutty taste than flax seeds. You can replace flax seeds with chia seeds for a more neutral flavor.
- Chia seeds have a higher fiber content than flax seeds.
- Flax seeds are more widely grown than chia seeds.
What Are the Similarities Between Chia Seeds & Flax Seeds?
- Both chia seeds and flax seeds can be mixed with water to form a natural gel.
- They both provide a similar amount of nutrients for the body.
- They can both be used interchangeably as a replacement for eggs in baking and other dishes.
- Both chia seeds and flax seeds are suitable for a vegan diet.
- Both chia seeds and flaxseeds are rich in fiber. 1 oz of chia seeds contains 11g of fiber while flax seeds of the same amount contain 8g of fiber.
- Both contain similar amounts of protein with flax seeds containing a slightly higher amount (2g more).
Flax Seeds or Chia Seeds for Your Diet? Which is Healthier?
Your individual needs come into play when it comes to choosing between flax seeds and chia seeds.
When it comes to including it as a core part of your diet, chia seeds win over flax seeds.
Additionally, chia seeds are a favorite of sportsmen and women as it boosts energy and is an excellent source of bone and cartilage strengthening calcium.
Chia Seeds vs Flax Seeds in Smoothies
I use both in my smoothies every morning. 2 tablespoons of each are adequate. However, if you would rather go with one then go with chia seeds.
Overall, you can include both in your diet for weight loss with more of an emphasis on chia seeds. The most recommended chia seed and flaxseed brands are:-
Best Brands of Chia Seeds
Best Brands of Flax Seeds
Have you tried either of the two or both? Do you have a favorite? Share in the comments section.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.