Last Updated: July 2014! View my current product recommendations and favourites on my carefully curated Amazon Store.
I receive a lot of emails asking about my regimen especially the shine in the curlformers set in the picture above.
Today’s article is going to show a breakdown of my regimen and my favourite hair products and the products I’m still lusting after. 🙂
My regimen is simple. I have insane working hours currently and my spare time is limited. In my earlier hair care days, I was a bonafide PJ.
As soon as I read about something even remotely interesting, I would order 2 packs without checking out the ingredients or anything.
Thankfully, I have recovered from that and my wallet is grateful. I still give in to a new product once in a while but only after thorough research has been conducted and there’s room in my wallet to accommodate the cost.
Below is the simpler regimen I follow these days and my favourite product picks: –
My Updated Hair Care Regimen
Pre Poo – Every 2 Weeks
I usually pre-poo with 5 ingredients:-
- Coconut Oil
- Wheat Germ Oil
- Grandma’s Unsulphred Molasses
- Tresemmes Aloe Vera & Avocado Conditioner
- Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner
I wrote a post earlier about how I mix the ingredients in 5 Ingredients for the Best Pre-Poo with Oils Ever.
There is also an instructional video included. This pre-poo always leaves my hair soft, easy to detangle and seriously moisturized.
Shampoo and Deep Conditioning – Every 2 Weeks
- I shampoo with CON Argan Oil Shampoo, Giovanni’s Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo or Renpure Originals Luxurious Moisture & Shine Shampoo. These shampoos don’t strip my hair leaving it dry and crunchy. I clarify with BodyShop Rainforest shampoo after taking down braids. I also use Organix Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo off and on.
- I mix and match several deep-conditioning ingredients – Tresemme Naturals Conditioner, Lory’s Argan Oil Conditioner, Luster’s Shea Butter Cholesterol and Skala Shea Butter Conditioner.
- My deep conditioning mix usually consists of 1 or 2 of above conditioners, 1 or 2 oils and honey.
- The oils I rotate are grape seed oil, castor oil, almond oil, carrot oil, emu oil, avocado oil and jojoba oil. Sometimes, when I’m researching an oil, I add it into the mix for a few weeks.
- Occasionally, I replace pre-poo, shampooing and deep conditioning with co-washing with As I Am Coconut Cowash. I never co-wash for more than 4 weeks at a stretch though due to product build-up.
Hot Oil Treatment – Every 4 Weeks
- I use one of my favourite oils for this – coconut oil, grape seed oil, almond oil or olive oil.
Henna Treatment – Every 8 Weeks
I do henna and indigo mix as the indigo gives the hair a lovely blue-black gloss afterwards and it lasts for quite some time.
For even better results, I’ve done henna first and then indigo but goodness, it took all day and I won’t be doing that again any time soon.
I recently detailed my henna process in Henna Head Weekend. The next time I henna, I will make a tutorial video.
- LOC – liquid, oil, cream method
- I spray lightly with water or Ouidad Botanical Moisture Infusing Spray
- Seal with oil. Occasionally, I also include a creamy leave-in conditioner after the oil
- Finish off with shea butter
- Throw hair in a bun
- For leave-in Ouidad Moisture Lock and Infusium 23 (the original formula. I don’t like the new one). They have a great big bottle of Infusium 23 now and it lasts me for ages.
- Gels – Ouidad Climate Control (for frizz control) & Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel (for definition).
- Ouidad 12 Minute Deep Treatment. Effective but expensive considering my hair can take ½ a bottle in one go. It’s a treat reserved for when my wallet can accommodate it.
- Aubrey Organics GPB Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner for protein treatments. That’s all the protein my hair needs.
Stuff the PJ in Me Wants to Try 🙂
Ouidad Biotin Lightweight Reparative Hair Serum
I will update the list as I learn and experiment more.