Here’s a breakdown of my curly hair care regimen as promised. I update this regimen every few months with any new favorite hair care products.
In the meantime, you can also check out all my current product recommendations and favorites on my carefully curated Ade Ori Amazon Store.
I receive a lot of emails asking about my regimen especially the shine in the Curlformers set in the featured image.
Today’s article is going to show a breakdown of my regimen and my favourite hair products and the products I’m still lusting after. 🙂
My regimen is simple. I have insane working hours currently and my spare time is limited. In my earlier hair care days, I was a bonafide PJ.
As soon as I read about something even remotely interesting, I would order 2 packs without checking out the ingredients or anything.
Thankfully, I have recovered from that and my wallet is grateful.
I still give in to a new product once in a while but only after thorough research has been conducted and there’s room in my wallet to accommodate the cost.
Below is the simpler regimen I follow these days and my favorite product picks: –
My Curly Hair Care Regimen
Pre Poo Regimen – Every 2 Weeks
I usually pre-poo with 5 ingredients:-
- Coconut Oil
- Wheat Germ Oil
- Grandma’s Unsulphred Molasses
- Tresemmes Aloe Vera & Avocado Conditioner
- Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner
I wrote a post earlier about how I mix the ingredients in 5 Ingredients for the Best Pre-Poo with Oils Ever.
There is also an instructional video included. This pre-poo always leaves my hair soft, easy to detangle, and seriously moisturized.
From time to time when I’m creating content for Healthy Natural Hair Products, I also try out other pre-poo combinations. I share those HERE.
Shampoo and Deep Conditioning Regimen – Every 2 Weeks
- I shampoo with CON Argan Oil Shampoo, Giovanni’s Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo or Renpure Originals Luxurious Moisture & Shine Shampoo. These shampoos don’t strip my hair leaving it dry and crunchy. I clarify with BodyShop Rainforest shampoo after taking down braids. I also use Organix Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo off and on.
- I mix and match several deep-conditioning ingredients – Tresemme Naturals Conditioner, Lory’s Argan Oil Conditioner, Luster’s Shea Butter Cholesterol, and Skala Shea Butter Conditioner.
- My deep conditioning mix usually consists of 1 or 2 of the above conditioners, 1 or 2 oils, and honey.
- The oils I rotate are grape seed oil, castor oil, almond oil, carrot oil, emu oil, avocado oil, and jojoba oil. Sometimes, when I’m researching an oil, I add it into the mix for a few weeks.
- Occasionally, I replace pre-poo, shampooing, and deep conditioning with co-washing with As I Am Coconut Cowash. I never co-wash for more than 4 weeks at a stretch though due to product build-up.
Hot Oil Treatment Regimen – Every 4 Weeks
- I use one of my favorite oils for this – coconut oil, grape seed oil, almond oil, or olive oil.
Henna Treatment Regimen – Every 8 – 10 Weeks
I do henna and indigo mix as the indigo gives the hair a lovely blue-black gloss afterward and it lasts for quite some time.
For even better results, I’ve done henna first and then indigo but goodness, it took all day and I won’t be doing that again any time soon.
I recently detailed my henna process in Henna Head Weekend. The next time I henna, I will make a tutorial video.
Daily Hair Care Regimen
- LOC – liquid, oil, cream method
- I spray lightly with flower water or Ouidad Botanical Moisture Infusing Spray
- Seal with oil. Occasionally, I also include a creamy leave-in conditioner after the oil
- Finish off with shea butter
- Throw hair in a bun
Other Hair Care Regimen Faves
- For leave-in Ouidad Moisture Lock and Infusium 23 (the original formula. I don’t like the new one). They have a great big bottle of Infusium 23 now and it lasts me for ages.
- Gels – Ouidad Climate Control (for frizz control) and homemade hair gel.
- Ouidad 12 Minute Deep Treatment. Effective but expensive considering my hair can take ½ a bottle in one go. It’s a treat reserved for when my wallet can accommodate it.
For a more updated curly hair regimen, please visit this page where I share my favorite curly hair products every year.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.