This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Evening Primrose oil is ideal oil number 3. I discussed ideal oils 1 and 2 in earlier articles – Dry Hair & Scalp Issues Addressed with Borage Seed Oil & Keep Hair Moisturised From Inside With Blackcurrant Seed Oil.
Evening primrose oil comes from the seed of the evening primrose plant aka Oenothera biennis. The evening primrose plant is aka as cowslip, fever plant, king’s cure-all, night willow-herb, sun drop and scabs.
The flowers of the plant only open up in the evening, hence the name. The plant is native to the USA but also grows in England and Germany, and parts of Asia. Like borage seed oil and blackcurrant seed oil, it is rich in essential fatty acids, which improves hair texture and skin elasticity.
Dos & Donts of Evening Primrose Oil
- Do keep it refrigerated as heat degrades the quality of this oil.
- Don’t use it in combination with any heat, as this will reduce its effectiveness.
Best Uses for Evening Primrose Oil
- It’s best used in conjunction with a pre-poo treatment or as a sealing oil.
- It can be drizzled lightly over salads as a way to ingest it.
- A powdery form of the plant can also be used for making tea.
Best Recommendations for Evening Primrose Oil
Evening primrose oil is available in liquid form or in soft gel caps. The oil can also be obtained by breaking open the soft gel capsules. 500 mg 2 – 3 times a though is the usual dosage.
The most recommended soft gel form is Now Foods Evening Primrose Oil and Nature’s Way EFA Gold Evening Primrose Oil while liquid form is Now Foods Evening Primrose Oil , Life Flo Pure Evening Primrose Oil & Edens Garden Evening Primrose Oil.
You can purchase either or both by clicking on images below. You can start off with the soft gels and then move on to the oil form later on although research recommends the supplement form as being most effective.
Fast Fact About Evening Primrose Oil:
- Evening primrose oil contains phenylalanine, a pain-relieving compound, which can be used to treat chronic headaches, PMS, and several other conditions. More studies required ascertaining these claims.
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.