Evening Primrose oil is one of the 3 ideal oils for hair care and beautiful skin. The other two are borage seed oil and blackcurrant seed oil.
Read Dry Hair & Scalp Issues Addressed with Borage Seed Oil and Keep Hair Moisturised From Inside With Blackcurrant Seed Oil for more on the other two perfect oils.
Evening Primrose Oil for Hair
Evening primrose oil is produced from the seed of the evening primrose plant aka Oenothera biennis.
The evening primrose plant is aka as cowslip, fever plant, king’s cure-all, night willow-herb, sun drop, and scabs.
The flowers of the plant open up only in the evening, hence the name. The plant is native to the USA but also grows in England and Germany, and parts of Asia.
All parts of the evening primrose plant are edible. The leaves are used as garnishing or decoration in dishes while the roots can be cooked.
Evening Primrose Oil for Skin
Evening primrose oil is used for treating skin disorders such as acne, eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
Taking primrose oil supplements can help reduce the effects of these conditions.
What Are the Benefits of Evening Primrose Oil for Hair?
1. Evening Primrose Oil Improves Hair Texture
2. Evening Primrose Oil Eliminates Dry Hair
The essential fatty acids help nourish hair and revamp dry and crunchy hair with much-needed moisture.
3. Evening Primrose Oil Soothes Scalp Inflammation
Evening primrose oil’s anti-inflammatory properties can soothe scalp irritation and inflammation, fostering an environment for healthier hair growth.
4. Evening Primrose Oil Balances Out Hormones
Adding an evening primrose oil supplement to your diet may help balance out your hormones internally and treat any hormone-related hair loss issues.
However, you should consult with your primary care physician before you start taking evening primrose oil supplements.
How to Use Evening Primrose Oil for Hair
Evening Primrose Oil Hair Mask
- 3 tablespoons of evening primrose oil
- 1 egg yolk. You can also try coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey like Wholesome Organic Raw Honey
- Mix all the ingredients together until well blended together
- Apply to the length of your dry hair including your roots
- Cover with a disposable shower cap and wrap a damp hot towel around your head
- Leave on for 30 – 45 minutes then wash out with diluted mild shampoo and deep condition
If you would prefer to leave the evening primrose oil on your hair without shampooing out, use the recipe below instead. This recipe is particularly great for high porosity hair.
Evening Primrose Oil Scalp Treatment
- Pour the evening primrose oil, grapeseed oil, and borage seed oil into the 2 oz bottle
- Close and shake. You can also add 10 drops of lavender essential oil if you want
Use this scalp oil mix by applying to hair after applying your leave-in conditioner or massage into your scalp 3 times a week every evening. There’s no need to wash out the next morning.
Best Evening Primrose Oil
Best Evening Primrose Oil Supplements
Evening primrose oil is also available in soft gel caps. The usual daily dosage for evening primrose oil is 500 mg 2 – 3 times.
You can start with the soft gels and then move on to the topical oil later on although research recommends the supplement form as being most effective.
However, always consult with your physician before you start consuming supplements especially if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any health issues.
Evening Primrose Oil Side Effects
Evening primrose oil can be taken safely for most people. However, in some instances, evening primrose oil side effects can include a mild case of upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, and headache.
Evening Primrose Oil Hair Products
- John Masters Organics – Evening Primrose Shampoo
- The Mane Choice Anti-Breakage & Repair Antidote Repair Oil
- Alba Botanica Moisturizing Hair Conditioner Body Builder
How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long With Natural Oils
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils.
How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils is a comprehensive guide about natural oils.
The book is available in Kindle and paperback format. Subscribers get up to 20% off. Check it out HERE.