Last Updated on
The benefits of mustard oil were covered in a previous article. Though not very popular in hair care, it’s an excellent oil for covering up grey hair and slowing down grey hair growth. Mustard seeds and mustard seed oil is used widely for cooking in India.
In this article, I will be sharing an easy to follow mustard seed oil recipe you can use for the recipes shared in mustard seed oil for hair.
DIY mustard seed oil is a simple and straightforward process requiring only a few ingredients. In addition to covering up grey hair, mustard seed oil is also beneficial for fostering an environment for healthier hair growth due to its beta-carotene content.
DIY Mustard Seed Oil Recipe
- 1 cup of mustard seeds like Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Mustard Seeds or Spicy World Mustard Seeds.
- 1 cup of a carrier oil such as sweet almond, coconut oil or olive oil. I prefer coconut oil.
- 5 – 10 drops of essential oils like ylang-ylang essential oil or lavender essential oil but this is optional.
- Mortar and pestle
- Grind the mustard seeds in a mortar similar to this one then set aside.
- Heat up your carrier oil of choice in a large pan.
- Once hot, add the mustard seeds to the oil and boil it until the mixture turns brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
- Once it’s cool, strain through a cheesecloth
- Store in an airtight jar similar to this one.
- Keep it in the refrigerator between uses.
Mustard seed oil tends to go rancid quickly so DIY in small batches and use up within a few weeks.
How to Make Mustard Seed Oil Video
Below is a quick video showing a more industrialized method for pressing the oil out of mustard seeds:-
Where to Buy Mustard Seed Oil
If you can’t be bothered to DIY mustard seed oil, four of the best recommendations include Yandilla Australia Mustard Seed Oil, Uncle Roy’s Cold Pressed Mustard Seed Oil, Summer and Sage Organic Mustard Seed Oil and Mystic Moments Mustard Seed Oil.
You May Like This
For more articles like above, sign up to the newsletter below for updates, tips, discount codes, exclusive entries into giveaways and discounts on the Healthy Hair Care series resources.
Enter your details below to get started up. You can also Tweet your friends, family, and colleagues about the site HERE. Thanks!