Learn how to make your own mustard oil in just a few steps in this article plus you need only 3 ingredients. The benefits of mustard oil for hair and how to use it was covered earlier.
Though not very popular in hair care, mustard oil is an excellent oil for covering up grey hair and slowing down grey hair growth.
Mustard seeds and mustard seed oil is used widely for cooking in India and other parts of Asia.
In this article, I will be sharing an easy-to-follow mustard seed oil recipe you can use for the recipes shared in mustard seed oil for hair.
DIY mustard seed oil is a simple and straightforward process requiring only a few ingredients.
In addition to covering up grey hair, mustard seed oil is also beneficial for fostering an environment for healthier hair growth due to its beta-carotene content.
DIY Mustard Oil Recipe
DIY Mustard Oil Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup of mustard seeds like Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Mustard Seeds or Spicy World Mustard Seeds
- 1 cup of carrier oil such as sweet almond, coconut oil, or olive oil. I prefer coconut oil
- 5 – 10 drops of essential oils like ylang-ylang essential oil or lavender essential oil but this is optional
- Mortar and pestle
Greenco Marble Mortar and Pestle
DIY Mustard Oil Recipe Directions
- Grind the mustard seeds in a mortar similar to this one then set them aside.
- Heat up your carrier oil of choice in a large pan.
- Once hot, add the mustard seeds to the oil and boil it until the mixture turns brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
- Once it’s cool, strain through a cheesecloth
- Store in an airtight jar similar to this one.
- Keep it in the refrigerator between uses.
Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Mustard Seeds
Mustard seed oil tends to go rancid quickly so DIY in small batches and use up within a few weeks.
How to Make Mustard Oil Video
Below is a quick video showing a more industrialized method for pressing the oil out of mustard seeds:-
Where to Buy Mustard Oil?
If you can’t be bothered to DIY mustard seed oil, four of the best recommendations include:-
- Yandilla Australia Mustard Seed Oil
- Uncle Roy’s Cold Pressed Mustard Seed Oil
- Mystic Moments Mustard Seed Oil
Yandilla Australian Mustard Seed Oil
Uncle Roy’s Cold Pressed Mustard Seed Oil
Summer and Sage Organic Mustard Seed Oil
Mystic Moments Mustard Seed Oil
More Healthy Hair Care Resources
For more articles like above, sign up to the newsletter below for updates, tips, discount codes, exclusive entries into giveaways, and discounts on the Healthy Hair Care Series resources.
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.
Tuesday 31st of October 2017
Mustard oil is made from the Mustard plant, the seeds of such plant are pressed to produce the oil (mustard oil). Mustard oil is very popular in the Indian subcontinent, especially in the eastern parts of India and Bangladesh. Great post!
Natural Oils for Hair & Health
Tuesday 31st of October 2017