This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
The benefits of mustard oil were covered in the previous article. Though not very popular in hair care, it’s an excellent oil for covering up grey hair and slowing down grey hair growth. Mustard seeds and mustard seed oil is used widely for cooking in India. The previous article also mentioned the best brands of mustard seed oil
This article will share a recipe for how to make your own mustard seed oil at home. It’s a simple and straightforward process.
In addition to covering up grey hair, mustard seed oil is also beneficial for stimulating hair growth due to its beta-carotene content.
DIY Mustard Seed Oil Recipe
- 1 cup of mustard seeds like Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Mustard Seeds or Spicy World Mustard Seeds.
- 1 cup of a carrier oil such as almond, coconut or olive oil. I prefer coconut oil.
- 5 – 10 drops of essential oils like ylang-ylang or lavender essential oil but this is optional.
- Grind the mustard seeds in a mortar similar to this one then set aside.
- Heat up your carrier oil of choice in a large pan.
- Once hot, add the mustard seeds to the oil and boil it until the mixture turns brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
- Once it’s cool, strain through a cheesecloth
- Store in an airtight jar similar to this one.
- Keep it in the refrigerator between uses.
Mustard seed oil tends to go rancid quickly so DIY in small batches and use up within a few weeks.
For more articles like above, sign up to the newsletter below for updates, tips, discount codes, exclusive entries into giveaways and discounts on the Healthy Hair Care series resources.
Enter your details below to get started up. You can also Tweet your friends, family and colleagues about the site HERE. Thanks!