This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Meadowfoam seed oil is extracted from the seeds of the meadowfoam flower aka limnanthes alba which can be found in northern California, southern Oregon, Vancouver Island and British Columbia. The oil uniquely contains over 98% long chain fatty acids which makes it extremely stable and usable for quite a few different purposes. The oil has many benefits for hair and skin but we will be focusing on the benefits of hair for this article.
Why is Meadowfoam Seed Oil Good for the Hair?
- It locks moisture into the hair.
- It adds lustre to dull hair.
- It can rejuvenate dry or damaged hair.
- It provides protection against harsh rays of the sun.
- Due to its stability, it makes a great carrier oil for essential oils and actually elongates the shelf life of oils it’s mixed with.
How to Use Meadowfoam Seed Oil on Hair
- To lock in moisture into the hair and provide UV protection, use as a sealant after applying your leave in conditioner.
- To rejuvenate dry/damaged hair, massage into your hair and scalp and leave on for minimum 1 hour before shampooing and conditioning as usual.
- To add lustre to your hair, combine with your deep conditioner and treat for up to 45 minutes under a steamer or with a hot towel wrapped around your head then rinse thoroughly and style as usual or mix into your shampoo. You can always buy shampoos with meadowseed oil such as BIO Straight & Sleek Shampoo with Meadowfoam Seed Oil or Faith in Nature – Hemp & Meadowfoam Shampoo but I prefer adding the oils myself just so I’m sure of the amount going into it.
Fast Fact: The meadowfoam plant is named so due to its resemblance while in bloom to the white foam on the ocean.
If you would like to know more about how to use natural oils for specific purposes to get more effective use out of them, you may want to check out How to Grow Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a guide which goes in-depth into which specific oil (s) works for each hair issues for optimal length and health.