Meadowfoam seed oil is extracted from the seeds of the meadowfoam flower aka limnanthes alba which is found in northern California, southern Oregon, Vancouver Island and British Columbia.
The meadowfoam plant is named so due to its resemblance to the white foam on the ocean while in bloom.
The seeds are pressed then the oil is refined to produce meadowfoam seed oil.
What is Meadowfoam Seed Oil Used For?
Meadowfoam seed oil has properties that make it a very unique oil. It contains over 98% long-chain fatty acids.
This makes it extremely stable and highly oxidative. Meadowfoam seed oil has many benefits for hair and skin.
Meadowfoam seed oil has properties similar to jojoba oil and is perfectly suited to dry skin and dry hair.
In this article, we’ll focus on the benefits of meadowfoam seed oil for hair, how to use meadowfoam seed oil on hair, meadowfoam seed oil vs jojoba oil, and where to buy the best meadowfoam seed oil.
Meadowfoam Seed Oil Benefits for the Hair
1. Moisture Retention on Hair
Due to the long-chain fatty oil content, meadowfoam seed oil cannot be absorbed.
Instead, it forms a protective coating on the hair helping to retain moisture for longer.
2. Silky Smooth Hair
Meadowfoam seed oil can help rejuvenate dry or damaged hair, and lead to silky smooth hair after a good deep conditioning session (recipe below).
3. Protects Hair from UV Rays
Meadowfoam seed oil provides protection against the harsh rays of the sun.
4. Extends Shelf Life of Formulations
The highly oxidative nature of meadowfoam seed oil means it can help extend the shelf life of your DIY formulations.
Additionally, it combines well with sweet almond oil, kukui nut oil, evening primrose oil, borage seed oil, and hemp seed oil.
How to Use Meadowfoam Seed Oil on Hair
Meadowfoam Seed Oil Deep Conditioning Treatment
- Mix 3 tablespoons of meadowfoam seed oil and 1 tablespoon of mafura oil with your favorite cone-free deep conditioner.
- Mix and apply to damp hair after shampooing, smoothing through thoroughly.
- Twist and pin your hair up and sit under a hair steamer or with a hot towel wrapped around your head for 45 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and continue with the rest of your regimen.
This treatment will rejuvenate dry locks over time. You can always buy shampoos with meadowfoam seed oil (recommendations below).
However, I prefer adding the oils myself just so I’m sure of the amount going into it.
Seal in Moisture with Meadowfoam Seed Oil
- To lock in moisture into the hair and provide UV protection, use as a sealant after applying your leave-in conditioner.
- Rub a few drops between your palms and work lightly through your hair before you finalize a dry style such as a braid out or a twist out.
Meadowfoam Seed Oil vs Jojoba Oil
Both meadowfoam seed oil and jojoba oil have similar profiles – a waxy texture that resembles sebum produced on the scalp.
However, jojoba oil is more expensive than meadowfoam seed oil. Jojoba also contains myristic acid and linoleic acid.
Both meadowfoam seed oil and jojoba oil are commonly used in balms, lotions, and creams.
Where to Buy Meadowfoam Seed Oil?
Edens Garden Meadowfoam Oil
Sweet Essentials Pure Meadowfoam Seed Oil
Interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health?
Have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy and Long with Natural Oils.
It’s a comprehensive guide about natural oils and available in Kindle and paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.
Hair Products with Meadowfoam Seed Oil
- Faith in Nature – Hemp & Meadowfoam Shampoo
- Ojon Hydrating Thickening Conditioner
- Curl Junkie CoffeeCoco Curl Creme
- AVEDA Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.
11 Awesome Mother’s Day Hair Care Gift IdeasNatural Oils for Hair & Health
Sunday 20th of September 2015
[…] cruelty free. This set contains rosemary, lavender, lemon and rosewood essentials oils as well as meadowfoam and camellia seed oils with an instructional brochure. The products are stored in amber coloured […]