This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you choose to use the links provided. Thank you for your continued support of this site.
Camellia Oil is also known as tea seed oil or tsubaki oil. The oil is cold-pressed mainly from the seeds of camellia oleifera, a wildflower that grows in China & Japan. Its composition is similar to olive oil and contains about 85% unsaturated oleic acid, omega 3, 6 & 9 fatty acids, polyphenols and vitamin E. Japanese women have used camellia oil as a key ingredient in hair care for hundreds of years.
The camellia plant is named after Georg Joseph Kamel, a missionary responsible for introducing many Eastern Asian plants into the Philippines. The name “Camellia” is given to honor him by Carl Linnaeus, a Swedish Botanist. Camellia oil should not be confused with tea tree oil, which is native to Australia.
4 Reasons Camellia Oil is So Good for Hair
- Camellia oil penetrates the hair without leaving behind a greasy residue.
- Camellia oil is perfect for dry and/or coarse hair as it smooths down the hair cuticle and promotes shiny hair.
- It forms a protective barrier around hair, which prevents it from drying out. If you especially have ends that are prone to breaking off, camellia oil should be one of your BFFs.
- It’s an excellent scalp treatment with the ability to nourish and moisturize the scalp and roots. Frequent use strengthens the roots and reduces scalp dryness.
How to Use Camellia Seed Oil on Hair
- To revitalize your hair, add four or five drops of camellia oil to some warm water and massage thoroughly into your scalp and hair ends. Comb through gently, leave for about an hour, rinse out with lukewarm water, then style your hair as usual.
- For protecting your ends, you can rub a few drops on the hair ends once or twice a day. You will get the best results with camellia oil when applied to damp hair.
- Camellia oil can also be used as a pre-shampoo treatment by applying it to dry hair and letting it sit for 1 hour, then shampoo and condition as usual.
Remember, less is more with camellia oil. A few drops are all you need. The 100 ml bottle from Edens Garden can last for quite some time. You can also try Piping Rock Pure Organic Camellia Oil and Fushi Wellbeing Organic Camellia Oil.
Camellia oil can be mixed with different products or you can purchase products that have camellia oil as a key component.
If you’re interested in learning more about natural oils and how to use them for specific purposes to achieve optimal length and health, have a look at How to Grow Your Hair Healthy & Long with Natural Oils, a comprehensive guide about natural oils. Available in Kindle & paperback format. Subscribers get up to 30% off. Check it out HERE.