Use these cherry seed oil recipes for enhancing dry hair health and plumping up the skin. Cherry seed oil is one of those uncommon oils that is excellent for healthy hair and skin care.
Cherry seed oil is aka cherry kernel oil and is derived from the sweet cherry pits, which can be found growing throughout the world.
However, it is less comedogenic than sweet almond oil making it more suitable for skin care while its high omega-9 content makes it ideal for preventing dandruff in hair.
Cherry seed oil is an ingredient in several cosmetic productions such as soaps, creams, and lotions.
Cherry seeds are cleaned and dried, then cold-pressed to produce the slightly vicious cherry seed oil. The oil is light yellow with a mild odor and light texture.
Cherry Seed Oil Benefits for Hair and Skin
- Cherry seed oil is rich in vitamin A and E, which helps alleviate psoriasis and eczema. Additionally, the high level of phytosterols is good for reducing inflamed skin and acne.
- Cherry seed oil promotes collagen production and cell regeneration and rejuvenation.
- Cherry seed oil is suitable for all skin types, especially mature and/or damaged skin.
- Cherry seed oil is a stable and emollient oil that helps form a protective barrier on the skin and on dry hair.
- Cherry seed oil does not clog pores making it one of the best oils to apply on the face.
- Its high vitamin A content also helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- It’s a relatively inexpensive oil that requires only a few drops at a time so a 4oz bottle will last for a while.
How to Use Cherry Seed Oil for Skin
There are many cherry seed oil recipes for the skin but below are three of my favorites, which I use from time to time.
Cherry Seed Oil Lip Scrub
This is another take on the earlier recipe I shared in How to Eliminate Dry and Chapped Lips with this Effective Exfoliating Scrub.
- Mix a little bit of brown sugar with 2 drops of cherry seed oil and olive oil.
- Apply the paste to clean lips and massage gently in circular motions for a few minutes.
- Leave on for about a minute then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Apply a light layer of moisturizing body butter on your lips. You can use the body butter recipe below for this step.
Cherry Seed Oil Body Butter
- Soften about 4oz of your favorite natural butter in a jar like this one. If you’re not sure which body butter you’d like to use for this, have a look at the natural butter section. I recommend shea butter, cupuacu butter, illipe nut butter, and kokum butter.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of tamanu oil, rosehip seed oil, and cherry seed oil.
- Whip until smooth and creamy. Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Whip some more and leave in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to set and your body butter is ready.
- Apply generously all over your body every morning after your shower.
Cherry Seed Oil for the Face
Add a few drops of cherry seed oil to the moisturizer you use on your face in the evening. Mix, apply every evening and let it do what it does the best overnight.
How to Use Cherry Seed Oil for Hair
While cherry seed oil is featured primarily for skin care, its nutrient profile means it can also be used for dry and damaged hair treatment.
Below is a simple cherry seed oil recipe for hair, which can be used once a week.
- On wash day, measure out the sulphate free shampoo you’re planning to use into an applicator bottle like this one.
- Dilute a little with distilled water or rose water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cherry seed oil.
- Shake the bottle and continue with the rest of your regimen.
- If you have dandruff, massage the shampoo into your scalp as well. You can use a scalp massage brush to make this more effective.
This recipe is quite good for dry hair as it will prevent the shampoo from drying out your hair especially if you shampoo every week. If it’s not working as effectively as you’d like, increase to 1.5 teaspoons.
Best Cherry Seed Oil Brands for Hair and Skin
The following cherry seed oil brands are very popular. My favorite is Fushi Cherry Seed Organic Oil:-
Cherry Seed Oil Products You May Like
- Korres Cherry Oil Lip Gloss
- Bite Beauty Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub
- Burt’s Bees Wild Cherry Bring Back the Bees Lip Balm
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. Read full disclosure HERE.