While aloe vera gel is derived from the inner flesh of aloe vera leaves, aloe vera juice is produced from the green outer leaves of the aloe vera plant. The leaves are caused, ground and blended to produce aloe vera juice.
Aloe vera juice is a common beverage on its own and also as a main component in several beverages. The aloe vera plant has been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years and is used to treat a multitude of internal ailments.
Aloe vera juice contains amino acids, beta-carotene, vitamins B, C and E, lignins, and other minerals and enzymes.
Benefits of Aloe Vera Juice for Hair
1. Softening & Moisturizing
Is aloe vera juice good for the hair? Absolutely! Like aloe vera gel, aloe vera juice is excellent for softening and moisturizing hair.
Aloe vera juice is especially beneficial as a pre-poo for detangling hair.
3. Ideal for Transitioning Hair
How to Use Aloe Vera for Hair Growth
As I mentioned in my previous article, aloe vera on its own cannot directly impact hair growth. However, its use eliminates the kind of problems which leads to hair loss such as dry hair and split ends.
When you keep these problems at bay, your ends will stop breaking off and you keep all the hair on your head = longer hair.
For more targeted hair regrowth solutions, have a look at The Ultimate Hair Growth Guide: Stop Hair Loss. Regrow Bald Spots. Fill in Thin Areas.
DIY Aloe Vera Juice and Coconut Oil Prepoo for Dry Hair
This is the pre-poo I use after taking down extensions such as braids. It softens my hair and allows me to detangle and work out knots without stress.
- 4oz spray bottle like this one
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. If you don’t like coconut oil, you can use olive oil.
- Fill the 4 oz spray bottle with aloe vera juice
- Add the coconut oil. Shake the bottle thoroughly.
- For a tingly scalp treatment, you can add a few drops of peppermint essential oil, rosemary essential oil or tea tree essential oil.
How to Use
- Part your hair into small sections and spray the aloe vera juice and coconut oil mix generously.
- Smooth through your strands with your fingertips without detangling.
- Twist and pin up each section after application.
- When your whole head is done, cover with a shower cap or cling film.
- Leave on for 45 minutes then take down each section of hair and finger detangle. Your fingers should glide easily through and allow you to work out any knots.
- Your hair will love this recipe from the first try especially if you have very dry hair. If you have oily hair, you can still use this recipe but take out the carrier oil and add just the essential oils if using.
If you want to play around with the recipe, you can replace the carrier oil with your favorite leave in conditioner and use as a leave-in spray.
Aloe Vera Juice Side Effects
When used on hair, aloe vera juice doesn’t have any negative side effects. However, when consumed internally there may be a few issues like diarrhea.
It’s best to consult your primary care physician before you start consuming dietary supplements that may have a bearing on your health.
Personally, I added 2 capfuls to my morning smoothie for several months and didn’t experience any adverse effects.
Best Aloe Vera Juice Brands Online
Have you tried aloe vera juice before? Share your experience in the comments section.